Should I make amends?

So this has been bugging me for 25 years!. When I was 15 I dated a guy and we split up because of me. I told him I didn't want him because he wasn't interested in doing more than kissing. (that wasn't the truth), in reality it was because my family were poor and his were not and I didn't feel good enough for him.

Anyway move on 25 years my sister see's him here and there and he told her "that I only ever wanted to hold to hands and nothing more".

I really want to message him on FB and tell him sorry for the bad things I said. (I said some cruel things to him and it's bugged me ever since...for all these years). I think it's because he was only ever sweet to me at the time and so that's why I feel so badly about it.

I do feel bad for the people I wasn't nice too when I was younger and just want to make amends with everyone. Is it just me or does anyone else ever feel the need to do this with people that were in their life?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• If it still bothers you there is no reason not to make ammends. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:01 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• He probably does not even remeber you.

Answer by louise2 at 4:04 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I would. It doesn't mean you'll be forgiven, but it can't hurt to let him know the deal.
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 4:05 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• It wouldn't hurt to. I have had it happen and I apologized and felt a lot better and usually it turns out they appreciated the apology even if it was over something small. It's like the show My Name Is Earl lol he tries to make amends for all the hurtful things he has done
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 4:06 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• No, leave the past in the past. After all these years they have moved on and so should you. Look forward and not backward.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:08 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• it doesnt hurt! I made amends with an old boyfriend I reconnected with on FB. We ended on a sour note because of me and I always felt bad. He told me it was in the long gone past and not to worry about it. We keep in touch every now and then and are good buddies now. Even though he basically said "don't worry about it" it still felt good to release my emotions and I think it felt nice to hear it from me
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:08 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I see no reason why you cant tell someone you are sorry. Its never too late to say you're sorry. Even if the other person has moved on & forgotten the pain, it will make you both feel better. (Of course I dont know if I'd tell him you've been thinking about him for 25 years!- Just the circumstances)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:56 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• he'll probably remember you but not remember the bad stuff...and if he does remember you he probably let go of the bad stuff depends how bad you were...lol I don't see nothing wrong if you want to talk to him but hey it's been 25 YEARS He'd probablythink you should have let it go long time ago. Just pop in a say hi if it leads to an apology then u can go from there. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 5:34 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• if u feel that thats what u should do then do it.....make amends with everyone u hurt......
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 1:49 PM on Nov. 28, 2010