crib to bed?

My son will be 18 months old when his new sibling is born. We were hoping to move him to a mattress on the floor in his new room and let the baby have his crib...but since he's currently a cry-it-out baby if he doesn't change his sleeping patterns soon he'd never stay in bed. Anyone have advice/experience? We'd love to not have to buy another crib, but we also don't want him to be too traumatized/wander the house at night. Thanks.

mrscat206

Asked by mrscat206 at 2:22 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in General Parenting

• Can you put the new baby in a bassinette for a few months? I had my son in a bassinette until he was 5 months old. He is 18 months now and there is NO WAY he would be ready for a big boy bed at this point.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 2:32 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• You'll have to play it by ear. My daughter is like your son - refusing to sleep if there is any other option. She's 27 months and still in a crib (thanks to a crib tent!) I know she would not sleep if I moved her to a bed. I'm hoping to transition her in January or February.

The new baby can always sleep in something else for a while. It's not like the new baby will be wandering the house at 2am, a pack-n-play will work just fine for a while for example. If you do switch your son, you need to do so at least 2 months before the baby arrives so he doesn't feel like he is being pushed out for the baby. You can also get a second hand crib. Or ask neighbors or other moms you know if they have a crib in storage that you could borrow until your son is ready to move to a bed.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• this might sound kind of mean but it worked wonders! our daughter didnt have a problem switching she just had a problem staying in her room-she kept opening the door and coming out when she was supposed to be sleeping so we put a child lock on the inside door knob and within a day or two she figure it out..........then we took the lock off.............btw we always open the door after she falls asleep so its not like we are locking her in her room forever, we were just teaching her boundries
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 5:58 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I agree with locking him in his room if you do have to move him to a bed.
    Locking a toddler in his room is NOT cruel. Think about it - it's not like you are taking away a freedom they have been enjoying in the past. Locking a toddler in his room keeps him safe while you are asleep. It keeps him from waking up bored at 2am and exploring the kitchen or figuring out how to get the front door open. It means you don't have to hunt through every cupboard and closet in the house to find him after the smoke alarm goes off. If you still have a baby monitor, he can easily call for help.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:12 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• When my son was little he started climbing out of the crib.It would scare me to death to walk in his room and he was hanging on the side of it.So I put his matress on the floor until he was big enough for a toddler bed.We put a baby gate in his door way and closed it at night.He figured out that the matress was more comfortable than the floor. Some may not agree with what I did.But it was better than him having a head injury, or broken bone from falling off the side of the crib.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 11:41 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Put him in a bed and take down the crib BEFORE the baby gets here. Shut the door and put one of those safety covers on the door knob so he can't open it...or leave the door open and put a baby gate up. If there is going to be a problem with the change, it's liable to be more difficult if he has the chance to think the baby took his crib away.

If he gets out of bed, walk in and put him back in.
    If he gets out of........see the pattern? LOL

All of mine were 15 months when we took them out of the crib. My youngest is the only one who gave us any trouble.

It took about two weeks of putting him back in bed...but it worked and he stays now with no problems.

(think Supernanny)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:49 PM on Nov. 8, 2008