Pope drops Catholic ban on condoms.

I have just read this article:

Pope approves use of condoms

What do you think?
Personally I agree with it.

MumaSue

Asked by MumaSue at 4:11 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Religious Debate

• NFP and contraception are different in many different ways. The most noticeable is that contraception requires something to be done before, during or after sex to render it infertile. With NFP, there is periodic abstinence (during the fertile phase). The end is the same (avoid pregnancy) but the means is different (sterilize the marital act vs. periodic abstinence).

NFP is amazing! I cannot grasp why more people don't use it. OBGYNs know the benefit as any good OBGYN or fertility specialist will have women track their cycles using NFP. I've seen this IRL - an atheist co-worker used it to get pregnant as recommended and taught by her OBGYN. Besides that, it would be most unfun to stop foreplay to slip on a condom, or wonder at 3pm if I took a pill that morning. When I'm with my husband, I want ALL of him, and I want ONLY him - I don't despise his fertility and I don't want latex separating us.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 11:15 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• SOMEBODY TELL MICHELLE AND JIM BOB DUGGAR QUICK!!!!
    Anonymous

• As I replied in one of my groups, my understanding was always that the Church considered "we're trying to prevent conception" as the sin, not "putting a condom on a penis". I like that the Pope has clarified this position and hope it gives some comfort to couples that are hoping to not infect a spouse. However, I don't think this will do anything to slow the progress of HIV infection rates in Africa. The men generating those high infection rates clearly aren't concerned about the Church's stance on anything.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:27 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• As a Catholic, I am glad to hear that he is approving the distribution of condoms in countries like Africa where AIDS is out of control. I understand that promiscuity of men is normal in some cultures, and this puts their partners at great risk.

I love Pope Benedict XVI. I think he is brave for taking this stance, because he will receive criticism no matter what he does. The Church cannot condone sex outside of marriage, and he doesn't want to give that appearance. I think he is right to say that this is not a perfect solution, and that abstinence is the best strategy to prevent infection. Second best is sex within a committed, monogamous spousal relationship.

We've all heard of condoms tearing of coming off during sex. Would any of us knowingly have sex with someone we know has AIDS if they were wearing a condom? It reduces the chance of infection, but does not eliminate it entirely.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 8:00 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• wow...thats a huge step! the article says the Pope only okayed them if they were to reduce the risk of AIDS infection, but still! im really shocked and im interested to see if it makes a difference in Africa. cause condoms can only help prevent AIDS a little bit, but i guess its better than nothing!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:39 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Mama Sues title and The Telegraphs Title are extremely misleading, but titles that tickle the ears get more readers, I suppose.

The Pope is quoted as saying the use of condoms, "is not the proper way to deal with the horror of HIV infection," and that AIDS, "cannot be overcome through the distribution of condoms, which even aggravates the problems." And he used male prostitutes as an example for whom contraception is not an issue (as opposed to married couples where one spouse is infected).

And he never said condoms are the moral solution.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 9:40 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• NFP = Natural Family Planning. It is NOT the Rhythm Method.

NFP means I take my waking temp and observe my cervical mucus. I could check my cervix but it's always so high so I don't anymore. By observing my fertility signs I know when I'm fertile (if DH & I have sex we will most likely conceive) and not fertile (if DH & I have sex we will not likely not conceive). A lot of people complain their cycles are irregular so cannot practice NFP, but my cycles are very irregular. The earliest I've ever ovulated was on day 20. Every 6 months I have an anovulatory cycle. If I weren't practicing NFP, I would be scared that I was pregnant every 6 months. LOL Who needs that stress?
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 11:07 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• LOL, anon! Good idea!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 4:22 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I agree.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:55 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I agree with anon above, LOL!

sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:53 PM on Nov. 20, 2010