I need to collect a urine specimen from my cat. I have no idea how to do this. Anyone have some advice?

cats, urine, medicine

bhwrn1

Asked by bhwrn1 at 7:54 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Pets

• When I had to collect cat urine I was fortunate enough to have them go in the empty box. Cleaned out, but not bleached so clean the cat doesn't smell its own scent. We also had success putting plastic wrap on the bottom of the box which was easier to pick up with urine inside, rather than have to drain urine into another container. Rushing over to catch your cat in the act will only spook the cat. If you absolutely can not do it your vet can take urine directly from the cat but that is more expensive. The idea of non-absorbent pellets is good too.
    DogsMom

Answer by DogsMom at 12:22 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Empty out the kitty box of all litter hopefully she will still go?
    newmumy

Answer by newmumy at 8:13 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I don't know ...But I would pay to watch. LOL Sorry, no help here..but wow, I do not envy you. Ask that Vet how the heck to do such a thing. They should be able to help you out! ya poor thing.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 8:23 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• This might sound silly, but I don't have pets, so bear with me. When the girls were infants & I had to do that, they gave me a "urine catcher" that they wore until the urine was caught. Do they make something like that for cats? Poor thing!
    gaamom

Answer by gaamom at 8:24 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• at the vet where i worked they have special litter that does not absorb. you empty there box and put this litter in so they still have something to scratch and then collect with a dropper and put in a cup. make sure when you get the specimen that you refrigerate it if you can't take it in right away. if you can't get a hold of the special litter maybe buy a small bag of pebbles and put in box?
    bayleighsmom

Answer by bayleighsmom at 9:05 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• CRIKEY!!! I'd go back and punch that vet right in the face!!!
    livytwo

Answer by livytwo at 9:32 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Either try an empty litter box or maybe one with those glass stone in it... either way, you need it as clean as possible as rocks (as suggested above) could change the urine... also when you see that your cat's about to pee, run over with a small, shallow dish to try to catch some.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 10:53 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• You can try getting plastic bee-bees or anything that doesn't absorb, and is clean. You don't need alot about a cup full put in a clean empty litter box and wait.
    Wistful

Answer by Wistful at 11:35 AM on Jun. 19, 2008