do u have to get the rh- shot...

jesslovesyou08

Asked by jesslovesyou08 at 2:23 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Pregnancy

• no
    Anonymous

• i believe only if the child is rh positive.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 2:26 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Only if you are rh- and the baby is rh+. Even then, you don't HAVE to get the shot. But if you don't you are much more likely to have complications, including being unable to have any more children.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:28 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• No, but you really honestly should if you're RH-, to prevent any future pregnancies from possibly ending badly : / If you don't get it with this pregnancy your baby will be okay, but it could put future pregnancies at risk.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:28 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• only if you are rh neg. You don't want to do without it, I've seen the results of that happening years ago, it is BAD, trust me.
    Anonymous

• get it!!!! Trust me I am rh sensitized. I got sensitized before I could even get the shot with my first pregnancy. Blood crossed over very early in my pregnancy and my son was effect. He was 8 weeks early because of rh disease. Then I got pregnant for a second time and the rh disease was even more aggresive and my second son passed away at 23 weeks from rh disease.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 2:34 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I was told at the hospital that if u are rh- it means that your antibodies are trying to fight off your baby thinking it is an infection or virus. I think I would definetely get it.
    Anonymous

• I guess i could shed some light on this if you dont get it what happens. If you do not recieve the shot you become sensitized meaning you body begins making antibodies that will try to literally kill your baby, because your body does not recognize the baby as your own. The anitbodies attack your unborn babies red blood cells which then makes your baby anemic. Also when the blood cells are being attack, the baby could develope heart problems because the babies heart is trying to hard to pump blood, the brain can become swollen and can result in brain damage or even worse, death. Sometimes rh disease will put high-drops (fluid) around the babys brain and heart. Many problems can result if you do not recieve the rhogam shot if you are rh-
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 2:45 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• If both you and the baby's father are both rh- then you don't need the shot, but if there is any chance that the baby could be rh+ get it done! You don't want to take a chance of losing a baby or being unable to carry future pregnancies to term.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 3:54 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Only if you are RH -. They always always always ASSUME that the baby is positive, as if they do not, it can be costly, and if they do, it does nothing. My parents are both positive, I ended up with negative blood from my mother's mom. She had multiple miscarriages when she was having children; and I had NO clue that my blood was negative till I was pregnant with my daughter. It doesn't hurt and lets you have future children without having fertility/miscarriage issues. You actually get two; one in the middle of pregnancy and one in the hospital, quick and painless compared to everything else. GL!
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 4:05 PM on Nov. 4, 2008