At what age do you leave your kids home alone?

My girls are 12 and 6. The 12 year old likes to be home alone, but would you leave both of them home all day to go to work during the day like on holiday breaks and closed school days? I have no one to watch them for times like holiday breaks from school and that's my worry for when I go to work full time, what do I do with them?

marihand

Asked by marihand at 4:15 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• practice now small times alone that is what we did so they practice if somone knocks on the door or somthing gettting a toaster oven makes it easier and safer for them to cook cause it will shut itself off the oldest has to be able to act the boss if somone gets hurt My kids once toilet papered the whole hose and their dad was sitting there UGH
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 4:26 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I would judge it by how mature they are at the time...and how long you are going to be away.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 4:31 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Depends on how mature they are and how well they get along. On school days off I leave my 5-yr-old daughter at my sister's house with my nieces who are 10 and 13 because I know they get along great and the 13-yr-old is very responsible.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 4:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I don't see that working with my two ever... 12 seems a little young to be watching a sibling for that long either way though. I would think 13 closer to 14.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:28 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• It may be ok for the 12 yr old to start staying home for short periods of time, but she may not be ready to watch the younger sibling. U may need to apply for childcare help or find someone you can afford to be on the safe side.. Anything could happen when your at work and you want to have peace so you can get some work done.
    kahlillbrown

Answer by kahlillbrown at 10:25 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• The 12 year old is old enough to babysit her sister, if you feel she is mature enough. But I would reward her some how if you expect her to take care of her little sister.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:09 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• after the age of 14 or 15.
    shabbypink123

Answer by shabbypink123 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• 21 years
    dorispierce

Answer by dorispierce at 1:39 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I was babysitting for other families when I was 10. I do remember being forced to watch my brother, and I tortured the kid lol My DD is 11 1/2 and I have only left her home alone once. It was only for a couple hours, and she didn't feel good.
    Kissybratzmom

Answer by Kissybratzmom at 1:04 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• My kids are 13 and 10 and we leave them home on date night. It is not necessarily that the 13 year old is watching the 10 year old it is just so they can watch out for each other. The usually do fine. We always leave them a cell phone and they text us if they need anything. So far it has worked out well. They also stay home alone together when I and their Dad are at work and they don't have school.
    badmoparmom

Answer by badmoparmom at 11:21 AM on Nov. 30, 2010