New Harry Potter movie appropriate for my 9 year old and friends?

I have not read the Harry Potter series so I have no idea what to expect with this new movie. My son has read some of the books but not all, he has watched all of the movies made until now. We are letting him take a few friends to a movie to celebrate his 9th bday, would the newest HP movie be a bad choice?

Jessica157

Asked by Jessica157 at 4:16 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Entertainment

• The books get darker as the kids get older, and this is the darkest of all. It's hard to say if your individual child is old enough for it, but I would definitely suggest discussing it with the other kids' parents before you decide. What one parent feels is appropriate, another feels is too much.

Also, this one is a bit different in that it doesn't take place at the school, so it doesn't have that same vibe of being in a school environment. If they aren't old enough to pay attention to what's going on, it's not quite as "hand holding" as the past chapters, if that makes sense.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:19 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I haven't seen it yet, but it really depends on your kid and the kids going with. There is death in the books, so I assume there will be death in the movie. If any of the children are sensitive, then I'd say no, probably not the best movie for the kids to see.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 4:19 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Its dark and violent at times,and many characters die,so I guess decide whether or not they'd be disturbed by that.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:18 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Just saw it with my 12 year old. I loved it, but I am not sure it's appropriate for my 9 year old. There is a scene with Harry and Hermione that comes to mind. The whole movie is very, very dark and beloved characters are lost. There's a lot of intense action that on a big screen might be hard to take for some. I would definitely check it out with other parents before heading to the theater.
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 8:30 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I don't think it would be an appropriate choice for a 9 year old, esp. one who has not read the book. It is very dark and even somewhat scary in places. There is the scene with Harry and Hermione looking very intimate. It's violent and characters die on screen.

This is a movie that you need to watch first and then decide if it's one you want your younger child to see. I took my 12 year old to see it yesterday, but she's read the books several times over. Even then, some of the scenes were very graphically portrayed, and she hid her eyes for them.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:08 AM on Nov. 21, 2010