How do you handle knowing that your husband's mother may never accept you or your kids?

TheMzHowell

Asked by TheMzHowell at 5:01 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• I wouldn't handle her. She would be out of sight & out of mind. If she is that much of a bitch, i would not allow her in our lives. If her son wants to hang with her, then fine. BUT, i would not go over there at all. I would pretend she doesn't exist.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:03 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• It's really hard. I really just don't with my MIL. I only talk to her on the holidays other than that I don't know what else to tell you. Vent about her your friends. And try not to let it get to you. I know easier said than done
    Justins_mommy05

Answer by Justins_mommy05 at 5:07 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I keep the peae because of DH.
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 5:16 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Honey, if she's not going to accept her own grandkids, she's not even worth dealing with.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 5:17 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Wow, I so don't care what she thinks of me --or my kids.

My husband (of 25 years) is an only child, and has 2 children. His mother met our second after she turned 13 and has seen her once again a while before her 18th birthday. Now, this is the mother who spends 2 weeks at the cottage every year, shops in distant cities and gambles regularly, she lives a little more than 2000 miles away and, frankly, I think it's a fine place for her to stay. She's retired in paid-for real estate with her husband who is still working in spite of having a government pension. If she wanted to know her grandchildren, or spend any time with her son, she is certainly free to do so. Apparently, she chooses not to.

I'm 100% okay with that. I don't care if she thinks I'm Satan incarnate --she is a bitch to my husband and for that alone I'm happy to consign her to the 6 billion people on this planet I don't know and have no need to please.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:26 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Just get on with life.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 5:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I can understand where all yall coming from but its like she a call my husband and talk to him and ask him bout his other kids but never even mention ours. So i talk to my friends about it alot cause it bothers me cause I see it in my husband face that it bothers him and they always into bout it. The thing is that his mother doesnt even really know me. we only really talked once and that was when she told me that she didnt believe that our youngest was his. Im usually the type of person that be like bitch i dont care cause me and kids dont neeed or want shit from you, but it means alot to my husband for me and ma to get alone cause he a ma's boy
    TheMzHowell

Comment by TheMzHowell (original poster) at 9:15 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• dont let her know u feel that way be the best u can be infront of her that would piss her off. but for u just try not to let it get to u i feel the same way about my mil but there is nothing we can do to change there mind
    jimenez123415

Answer by jimenez123415 at 1:00 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• im sorry but if she were my mother or my MIL and she didnt accept my kids,i dont think id ever be able to talk to her again....
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 1:31 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• and by the way,you DONT need to handle that,if she cant handle the fact that them kids r yours and them kids r his then she can go fly a kite.....but if i were you i would try to talk to her...get ahold of her one day and be like "look,i wanna talk to you about something that means alot to me and my hubby/boyfriend...i would really like it if u and i could go to lunch and talk,or if you want to come to my house or vice versa...either way we need to talk".................see if she accepts the invite if she doesnt then maybe its time to bring out the big guns....look her dead in the eye and be like if u cant accept out kids or me then dont bother comming to see your son either....if she wants to be a bitch then maybe u should be one too....i could be wrong about this situation but i dont know this lady......good luck hun
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 1:39 PM on Nov. 28, 2010