Are there any studies that show benefits of being a sahm?

I'm currently pregnant with my first, and am weighing the decision of whether to quit working or stay home. I know many people feel that it's beneficial for a child to have a mom at home, but I'm wondering if there's any concrete evidence to this. I know there are plenty of studies that claim that there's no difference between children of WM's and sahm's, but it would seem to me that there would be some type of study to show some benefit that children of sahms have. If anyone knows of such please provide the name of the study or a link.
Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• There is a great deal of concrete evidence, and most of it is provided by researchers who keep trying to prove that daycare is 'fine'... or that daycare is 'better'.

If your library subscribes to Ebsco Host, you can access journal articles (published research) in all kinds of interesting fields, from pedagogy (study of learning methodology) to pediatrics. Or, you could ask the research librarian to supply you with some of the current findings...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:00 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• i read that it is if the day cares in your area are insufficient. a daycare with a teacher:child ratio of anymore than 1:3 is proven to be just as good as being a SAHM but anymore than that and it has the opposite effect... i read it in a textbook though so there is no link
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 6:29 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Our family therapist, me and my SO go to him for advice, encouragement, etc.. anyway he said that during the first year it is very important, because if you think about it their so close to mommies in the womb that being with mommy during the first year is good for self esteem and development.

Our therapist is a family psychologist, he didn't state anything besides after the first year. It was brought up because I was considered joining the coast guard, and he advised me to wait until a year for those reasons.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 6:39 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I truely believe that satying home is beneficial because they have a constant support system from you, and they are having a feling of consistancy! This is only an opinion, mind you, but If you talk to your doc they probably can help you! But working can be good too! To each their own!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 7:35 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• My daughter is 2 1/2 and I've been home with her. I love it and we have a very strong and close relationship. My friend is a working mom who HAS to work and commutes 2 hours each day. She's always telling me how much it upsets her that when all is said and done, she has 3 hours a night with her child...this includes cooking dinner, laundry and cleaning. She hates having to work and be away from him so much. I truly believe and KNOW that children are better off with their MOTHER and anyone who says that they aren't better off with their mother....must not be a very good mom. I am by no means trying to offend any working mothers. Some women have to work in order to provide for their families, BUT they certainly would be better off with their mother all day than in a daycare unless the mother doesn't pay attention to the kid.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:02 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I work. My son has never been to daycare though. OF course, I am a teacher so I am home by 3 pm everyday. My son and I have a close relationship and always have. He loves going to preschool a few hours/day. I work b/c I choose to work. I have a great career and stil am home early everyday, off on days my son is off school, etc. I am a better mom b/c I work. It gives me something for myself. My son also seems to love me working. He told his whole preschool on the first day, "My mommy is a teacher. Daddy and I are very proud of her."
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:50 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I dont have any "research". but I grew up with a SAHM (she went to work when i went into school). My dh grew up with a very hardworking single mom & went to daycares.. So coming from opposite sides & have always 110% agreed i am going to be a sahm till kids are in school!
    Before the age of 2, i was not going to trust anyone with my kid. they are helpless & cannot speak up for themself. No way would i leave my baby with someone who could do who knows what to her/ infront of her.. or just ignore her most of the day.. I just dont think anyone is going to put the work into my child at that age better than me.
    My first choice would be me. 2nd choice family/friends..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:57 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• its funny all i see is opinions. noone has sent a link. no proof. lol both are fine. to each their own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Nov. 21, 2010