Do I have a right to be mad? Cuz I am!

I was at work today, and I worked with this dude. I opened, he closes. He straight up told me this stuff:
1. He left the store, to go get Chinese food. He was gone for a few minutes.
2. He never does the cleaning stuff we have to initial that we do it.
3. He forgets to ring stuff up customers, so they basically get it for free.
4. He admitted he's effin lazy!
5. He didn't do ANYTHING today-all he did was play on his phone. I did the work.
6. He told me I could basically lie on my time card (even though it was only 5 min.) I didn't.
7. He also went to the gas station today...I'm pretty sure if we're gettin paid-we shouldn't do that!
What would you do here? Is it alright i'm mad?

Chell.o_0

Asked by Chell.o_0 at 5:51 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would report him for theft. Not ringing up merchandise and letting a customer take it...that's theft.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:52 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• No, they don't "get it for free" - others pay for it, in higher costs. And that is only one of the numerous things wrong. Do you have a "right" to your feelings of anger? Sure. What good will they do you? What good will they do anyone? Act on those feelings, do something about this - don't you have an ethical obligation to your employer to let them know these problems are happening?
    ihatetocook

Answer by ihatetocook at 5:54 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Yup I would have to agree with jaded as well, not trying to be mean but instead of telling us tell the boss because we can't do anything about it.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 6:06 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Ditto to what Jademom07 said! If there is someone (owner of the business, boss etc) that you can report him too, I would.
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 5:54 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• id be really mad too
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 5:52 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I'd be mad too. With so many decent people out there looking for work, it bugs me when someone takes it for granted.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 6:19 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I mean, this guy is 22. He has a 30 thousand dollar car! his own house. He doesn't need this job...he said that too.
    Chell.o_0

Comment by Chell.o_0 (original poster) at 5:55 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I'm always interested in questions that ask about the 'right' to have an emotion. It's a kind of strange idea, I think, that some people might have some rights to some feelings, but not to others --or that others don't have the right to these feelings at all.

I'm not sure, either, why you'd be mad about this. Report him, maybe... but angry? Why? Because he's getting away with things you know to be wrong and his supervisor doesn't pay attention? Because he's bragging about his sins? Because you want to be 'bad' too and aren't allowed?

You could send an anonymous letter to the company telling them you received goods for free and when you pointed it out to the employee he waved it off as if it didn't matter at all... That would be fun.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:55 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• If he doesn't need this job, then why is he working it and sitting on his a#@?! That makes no sense... but anyhow, I'd report him. That's outrageous to take advantage of his employer as much as he has... he deserves to be fired IMMEDIATELY!
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 6:37 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• yes report him and hope they reprimand or fire him but if he is related to the boss you may be the one who gets walking papers....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 8:02 PM on Nov. 20, 2010