Toddler constipation.

My son has been dealing with constipation for a bit lately. I took him in and the doctor told me to give him baby lax and another lax that mixes into his drinks, but once it seems like things are fine, it starts all over and the only way to get him to go without straining himself till hes sick is by forcing him to sit on his trainer seat because I've noticed that when he's sitting things go easier. Anyone have any suggestions? >.<

AmberLeTTeBxtcH

Asked by AmberLeTTeBxtcH at 6:30 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• prune juice sometimes helped with my son
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 6:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Remove cereal from his diet.

Cereals used to be known as dietary 'bulk' because they add low-nutrient calories to a diet, making it cheaper and more long-lasting. Small children don't have the room in their calorie count for 'bulk' and, as you have seen, can't digest it very well, either.

He needs fruits, vegetables, meats and optional dairy... he doesn't need toast, rice, pasta or crackers. They are optional extras that don't deliver anything that isn't available in the first 4.

Bread and water was torture for prisoners (intentionally, not by accident) because it is so constipating to eat that way.

Also, make sure he's eating enough healthy fat: fat is essential for his brain development and his digestion. Just make sure it's not shortening, margarine or hydrogenated anything: olive oil, avocado, coconut, well-marbled meats, butter and egg yolks are all excellent sources.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:34 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• does it? i might need to try some. the nurse i called tried to tell me to put a glove on and try to open the anal passage with my pinky and honestly i could not see myself doing that to my son, what they do at the doctors office is more professional than how i do things in my home >.>
    AmberLeTTeBxtcH

Comment by AmberLeTTeBxtcH (original poster) at 6:35 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• take cows milk out
    out in almond milk instead

i ha d a hard time with this, the cows milk was making rabbit turds, took it out, out in almond and no more rabbit turds
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:38 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I swear by Activia yogurt. My daughter had constipation problems off and on since she stopped breastfeeding and once I started giving her Activia it stopped.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 6:56 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• changing the diet, like many other posters have said is a much better than a laxative approach. i also agree with removing dairy. i believe you should be sure that carbs are brown and not white...bread, pasta and rice. fruit is always better than fruit juice. you can never get enough green veggies!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:09 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• How long is "a bit"? A few days or a few weeks? Have there been any dietary changes recently? Does he drink enough fluids? Another problem may be that he's not getting enough fiber. Prune juice is good along with just eating plain old prunes to help increase fiber content. Benefiber is good if he doesn't like prunes at all (or metamucil) & is safe for kids to use. Miralax is a good laxative for kids (kid safe, so to speak) when you need it. Good luck!
    Chocolatespring

Answer by Chocolatespring at 3:48 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Yeah, the activia that Nanixh recommended has active cultures along with lactobacillus acidophilus to aid in digestion. That is a good idea, too.
    Chocolatespring

Answer by Chocolatespring at 3:50 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• How much milk does he drink? We had to limit the amount of milk my son drank to no more than 10 oz/day... less is better (AND limit the fat content in the milk do skim or 1%). And then increase water intake. Limit constipating foods like cheese, rice, applesauce, potatoes,bananas and breads and increase foods high in fiber.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:31 PM on Nov. 21, 2010