When is a good age to tell the truth about Santa?

Im not going to for a few more years. if a fellow schooler doesnt spoil it first. but when does it happen? cause i dont remember when my mom and dad told me

mommyoftristan

Asked by mommyoftristan at 6:33 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Holidays

• with the internet these days i think kids will find out on their own ;) stupid internet spoiling everything ;)
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 6:35 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I was in like 5th grade when I finally asked! I plan to tell my kids when they are around 7 if they don't know already. DH has other plans. he wants to wait it out. I always felt kinda lied to... I know it's stupid
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:35 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Kids generally figure it out for themselves right around the time their brains develop the ability to understand concrete operations --that is, when they outgrow the Magical Thinking age and into the Rational Realism age. When they know that the window will break if they throw a hammer at it, even if the hammer isn't mad or the window doesn't feel like it.

When they realize that no matter what they're thinking or want, the ball falls to the ground every single time because of gravity, not preference.

My kids admitted to me that they knew, and thought it was fun to 'play along' with the younger kids who still believed.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:36 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• the truth about santa
    what truth?
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:36 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• my parents let us find out on our own but i plan to tell my son before he ends elementary
    AmberLeTTeBxtcH

Answer by AmberLeTTeBxtcH at 6:38 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• must believe to recieve in my house lol
    I still take 15yo pic with santa--Im christmas crazy
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 6:39 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Why do you have to tell him anything? Wait unitl he asks and decide then how you are going to handle it.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:40 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• im not entirely sure i even want to tell him.. I like the fact that he believes in santa,.. Polar Express makes it so much more real for him its to cute!
    mommyoftristan

Comment by mommyoftristan (original poster) at 6:45 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Kids will catch on when they are ready too... We dont explain batman/spiderman is fake.. they just realize it.

My parents never told me. I just stopped believing, i think i was 7 or 8 when the "santa gifts" stopped coming..But Cousin-inlaw got "santa gifts" until he was like 12-13 just for fun, even though he didnt believe.. around christmas he would joke about it.. cause Meme always said "if u dont believe in santa he wont bring u anything" and since santa brings the "good stuff".. you stupid not to believe huh!? lol..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:49 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Why aren't you telling the truth from the beginning is always my question... Hope they aren't in school with my kids, cause they'll learn way before you want them too if so...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:53 PM on Nov. 20, 2010