looking for recipe for baked mac n chesse know of any REALLY good ones??

Mommmy_To_3

Asked by Mommmy_To_3 at 6:35 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Cook macaroni, make a thick white sauce (4 tbsp each butter and flour, melted and blended in a pan over medium high, pour in 2 cups of milk or 1 cup milk and 1 cup chicken stock, stir constantly until thickened and bubbly), add 2 cups of shredded aged cheddar and stir until it melts, stir into mac and pour into a greased pan. Sprinkle on another 2 cups of shredded cheese and bake at 350 until the cheese on top is the colour you want it to be.

If you want it more complicated, you can add freshly ground nutmeg and pepper while melting the butter with the flour, or melt in a tbsp of dijon mustard along with the cheese for a sharper flavour. You can mix and match cheese, but stay away from mozza and swiss unless you want it to be a stringy pain to eat. Asiago would be luscious, and some restaurants here use blue.

If you want a more unusual topping, toss dry bread crumbs with melted butter, grated parmasan and dry parsley.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:40 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• say, Linda? I just finished supper tonight, but if you would kindly come over and make some of that for me, I promise I'll eat the whole thing!

THAT sounds SO good!!!!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:43 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• i know my mouth is watering!!! thank you very much for the recipie i am gana try it tomorrow!!!!
    Mommmy_To_3

Comment by Mommmy_To_3 (original poster) at 6:49 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• linda, how did you know my great-grandma's mac&cheese recipe? we make ours the same way you wrote, but double the cream sauce...
    babymar

Answer by babymar at 6:56 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I don't do the "Rue" MacNCheese.......
    I layer cooked noodles and cheese and then before I put on the top layer of cheese, I add a cup of milk with an egg beaten into it. Then Bake for 30 to 45 minutes at 375-400 degrees.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:03 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I make a thick white sauce, but I use cornstarch instead of flour, shaken with cold milk before I heat it. I find this NEVER gets grainy.

I always do the crumb topping too.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:03 PM on Nov. 20, 2010