I think I have the mouthiest 9 year old boy. Ever.

I don't know what to do, I'm absolutely ashamed of the way he speaks to me. Not all of the time, just when he's mad about something. I send him away from everyone and he will argue clear out of the room. He'll use words he knows I'd prefer him not to. Not swear words but bad enough. "Balls!" "Fart!" Just anything to get a reaction out of me. I don't know how much longer I can stay calm with him. Ugh. Maybe I need to spank.

Even when he isn't in trouble for something and acting out like that, he just has an arguementative nature. Like when he gets up in the morning. Totally not a morning person, grumpy as all heck right out of bed. I get that. That doesn't mean you get to argue with your mom or start a fight with your sibling just because you can.

Help! How to stop the mouth??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• If staying up doesn't interfere with his need for sleep to be ready for school. Maybe you could spend a little more time at bedtime chatting with him. My youngest really thrived on that. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:37 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I would take away whatever is THE most important thing to him for an appropriate length of time as punishment. And lots of times kids go for the negative attention when they do not get enough positive attention. Does he get enough one on one time with you and your SO? Plus praise when he does things right?
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:25 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• set a consequence and follow through EVERY TIME. That is the most important part. the consistent follow through.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:26 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I agree with both previous posters above me
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 7:31 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Lots of praise and lots of things done right. It could come down to the one on one time. It feels like we're doing what we can there though. It has me wondering if there will EVER be enough one on one, kwim? I think, since he is the oldest by 3 years, we could try letting him stay up a half hour later than the others. We could play a short game or something. idk...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:31 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Good luck! Consistency really IS the key.

LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 7:33 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• If u have never spank before, it may not be a good idea now. Discipline has to start early. He needs to understand that what he's saying will NOT be tolerated! And when he disobeys there are consequences... Let him know who's boss and be firm...
    kahlillbrown

Answer by kahlillbrown at 10:19 PM on Nov. 20, 2010