Help! I need some good ideas on how to make my turky moist, any good recipes?

I was asked to make a extra turkey for my family gathering for Thanksgiving. I usually make my turkey and it is good...but now I feel pressured to make a really good one. So what do you suggest for making it have flavor and moist. What temp do I put it on, etc.

I usually use butter all over the turkey, any seasoning that would taste good over it, a poor chicken broth on the bottom of the pan to help it with a baste. Anything else? Should I tuck the wings under and tie the legs?

bellamommyof4

Asked by bellamommyof4 at 7:39 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Use an "oven bag" to keep it moist. It cooks a lot faster, too...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 7:42 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I baste the turkey every 20-30 minutes and I also shove pats of butter all over the turkey between the skin and the bird. This will give you the juiciest, flavorful turkey on the block .
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 7:46 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Thats sounds like a good idea....I also poke holes in with the baster, and insert the juice. Is that drying it out because I am putting holes in it?
    bellamommyof4

Comment by bellamommyof4 (original poster) at 7:47 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Cooking bag, lots of butter under the skin, on the skin and put it in the bag and let it cook, no need to baste. So moist
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 7:48 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Thanks...this already helps =)
    bellamommyof4

Comment by bellamommyof4 (original poster) at 7:50 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Brine the turkey-- that's the best way to make a moist bird of any flock. This is what restaurant chefs do.

The night before, soak you thawed turkey in salted water: 2 TB sea salt/ liter of water-- soak the bird over night.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:52 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Us a Reynolds oven bag. It will be sooooo moist. I have been doing this for yers, and never had a dry turkey. Instructions are on the package, but you can do your usual seasonings, butter or oil, etc.

Brining a turkey sometimes works, but it sometimes makes it too salty, and if you get a butterball, or any other that has been injected with liquid (majority of frozen ones have) then you're wasting your time.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:46 AM on Nov. 21, 2010