My almost 5 yo wont stop drinking milk from a sippy at night...

OK , I have totally had it with the sippy cup but my husband wont back me up at all with this.
My daughter will be 5 in January, she still drinks milk at night while she goes to sleep and a fue time a day.
She will be starting school this coming fall and I just want to get her off of it ASAP, its getting old and i don't want to get a call from the school saying to come pick her up because she is throwing a fit for milk!!!
I've tryed to get his grandmother to back me up about this but all she says is "its not hurting her, she loves it."

I took her off the bottle (with a fight) when she was 2 1/2 just to replace it with this damn cup.
We live an a duplex and if she doesn't get the cup she throws a royal fit and screams and hollers and sound like she is being killed!!!!!!
I mean, its so bad that if i heard sounds like that on the other side of the wall i would call the cops in fear of child abuse.

How can I get my husband to understand that this oral fixation is damaging her teeth and jaw and even her developmental skills?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:59 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Seriously? Throw away the sippy. There is no reason in the world for a five year old to have a sippy cup! A glass of milk is not a problem, but why in the world would your husband want to use a sippy cup? I guess I'm just not understanding why any five year old still has a sippy.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:01 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• You need to just sit her down and speak to her about her behaviour. 'This is unacceptable. On this day you will no longer be getting a sippy cup of milk when ever you want. You may have a big girl cup of milk at meals and water in a big girl cup in between. You may have you sippy cup at night but with water in it. If you choose to scream about it then you will loose privileges. You are a big girl and need to start behaving as one.'
    fourisplenty

Answer by fourisplenty at 8:04 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• mark the said day on the calender and have her help you cross off the days. Give her at least 5 days notice.
    fourisplenty

Answer by fourisplenty at 8:05 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I agree throw away all sippy cups in the house. its fine to drink a cup of milk but shes big enough to use a regular cup. Im surprised you just didnt give her a regular cup when you took the bottle away at 2 n half. explain to your daughter that shes a big girl and that we are getting rid of the sippy cups and shes a big girl who can drink from a big cup. I promise the fit wont last forever.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 8:08 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• So you don't want your daughter to drink milk period or from a sippy. She is going to throw a fit the first few nights that's what kids do and if the neighbor call the police tell them your daughter is throwing a fit because she wants her sippy cup. Get rid of the sippy and she'll get the point soon. We all had to stop the sippy sometime you don't see grown adults walking around drinking from sippy cups. So your daughter will learn like we all had to learn that she can no longer have the sippy because she's a big girl but she can have a cup of milk in a straw...something like that.

Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 8:13 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• If you can't get your husband to back you up on this, perhaps a visit and discussion with her dentist is in order? Maybe if he hears how much damage can be done to her teeth from this habit he will be more willing to back you up. If that doesn't work, I say toss all the sippies when he is at work. My kids haven't had sippies past 18 months and they are fine. As far as your daughter's fits, maybe if you told the neighbors you are having a tantrum situation and ask for their patience while you deal with it? And maybe if you take your daughter shopping for a special brand new big girl cup to replace the sippy? I know Kmart and Walmart have some really fancy character cups.
    MynTop

Answer by MynTop at 8:14 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• The milk is not hurting her, but the cup is. Let her get a new big girl cup, maybe one of those cute ones with a lid and a straw. Let her know that since she is a big girl she will get a special cup. Maybe you can get matching "big girl" cups so that it's extra special. Good luck!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:27 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• i have no advice other than whats been given, but i do have sympathy! my 19mo old gave up his middle of the night sippy of milk right at a year old, but a week or two ago he suddenly started waking up once or even twice a night screaming for "DILK!" he'll just scream "dilk! dilk! dilk!..." over and over until i fix it for him. i've tried feeding him something filling like oatmeal right before bed, but nothing helps. i'm right there with you hon!
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 9:06 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Put water in the cup or throw ALL of them out. Her teeth are going to rot drinking milk as she goes to sleep. She is old enough to NOT need to be drinking something to go to sleep.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:49 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• milk at bedtime is bad for her teeth. Have her pick out a special new cup with you
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:56 AM on Nov. 21, 2010