Potty motivation

DS will be 3 this December and I am trying to get him potty trained before preschool starts next year. He is fine with #1 but he will not go #2 on the toilet. i have tried everything I can think of to motivate him. I have told him that if he wants to be a big boy he has to use the potty. I have bribed him with candy, stickers, toys nothing works. I have been told if I push too hard it will make him not want to even more so I cam trying to come up with a way to get him to want to do it.

Sammieanne

Asked by Sammieanne at 7:59 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Honestly, what I did was when I noticed that she was pooping in her undies, I rushed her to the potty and sat her on it. Once she was done (even if she held it) I would secretly put what was in her undies and put it in the pot. That way when she looked, it seemed that she had done it. I made a HIUGE deal of it.

They don't like to do it because they think that you are flushing a piece of them down the toilet.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:07 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• When my son had trouble with number two, I had him start helping me wash out the training pants he pooped in. (I used cloth trainers and not pull ups). He didn't like the work or the mess and started going on the potty instead.
    MynTop

Answer by MynTop at 8:10 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• My son was almost 3 when he finally decided he wanted to use the toilet. Nothing I did prior to him saying he wanted to stop wearing pullups worked at all. However, when he did do #2 we immediately went to the store and got big boy undies with his fave character on them. So you could take him to the store and pick some out and just get rid of the pullups...it may get messy but I guarantee he will not like the feeling. On the other hand, you may have to let him take the initiative. You have plenty of time to worry about it before preschool so try and relax. I was so anxious about him doing it and boys always take longer and sometimes closer to age 4 before they decide they want to be "big boys." Good luck!
    meg4763

Answer by meg4763 at 8:39 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I have had him in both pull ups and underware and he goes in both. I have tried to rush him to the potty as soon as I see him start to go and he cries saying he doesn't want to do it. I'm so lost at what to do.
    Sammieanne

Comment by Sammieanne (original poster) at 8:45 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I had the same problem with my son (3). I tried special stickers, treats, other rewards and I'd end up rushing him, mid squat, into the potty only to have him refuse to use his training potty. So I bought one of the toilet toppers instead of the separet potty. I told my son that if he pooed in the potty he could hear the splash. . I don't know why that worked but he likes to hear the splash. Then I also made up a poopoo in the potty song and sang it with a little dance. don't forget to pile on the cheesy for them. . . little ones seem to like the silly stuff
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 9:15 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• make a big deal out of it! Also let him see you do it & make a huge deal out of it!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:19 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• to be honest the 3 out of 5 kids I have potty traine I did it on their third b-day and within a week they were fully trained even at night! I just built themup for 6 monthes before with out focin until the third B-day when they got a potty chair, cool undies, and a pack of pul up for night, and we only needed one pack!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:37 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• it's kind of something you can't force. For the past year or so, my son has been holding his poop for up to a week at a time because he doesn't like pooping. We've tried praise, bribing, punishing, everything.... and nothing seems to really work.
    The doc told us to give him some Miralax, which seems to be common practice for the kids we know who dont want to poop. But I do NOT suggest giving it to your child without talking to the doc first
    Not.So.Virginal

Answer by Not.So.Virginal at 9:56 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• kiddos hqave to be ready... sounds like he's not ready, or just being defiant.
    asil

Answer by asil at 7:26 PM on Nov. 21, 2010