How can I help my six-year-old daughter who is scared to sleep on the top bunk of her new bed?

I have twin daughters who recently turned six and I got them bunk beds.  One of my daughters was really excited to be on the top bunk before we got them however she has a lot of trouble falling asleep now. She says she's scared up top and now doesn't want to be there (my other daughter doesn't want to switch). I live i n in the city and there isn't room to separate the beds.  Does anyone know who I might ease this transition for her. I think it might be hard that she can't see her sister when she was used to looking over or talking to her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I wouldn't force it either. Put a special light up there, like an attachable reading light, have a popcorn party up there (I know, I know popcorn in the bed, but it might be worth it) Or let her choose some favorite temporary wall decals that she can climb up there and stick up there herself. Just some ideas. Is there a ladder so she can get in and out easily? Also perhaps leave a night light on so she can see at night where she is at for a few nights.

You might also slip a little present under her pillow and call it the top bunk fairy visit...ha ha...then you just might get 2 of them fighting over that spot!

Good luck!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 8:34 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• You will probably just have to put another bed in there. If she is scared, I wouldn't force her to stay up there.

all kids are excited about the possibility of being on top until they actually have to get up there...then it looks a lot different.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:30 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I wouldn't stack them. I'd put them side by side. I personally think they are dangerous. My cousin fell out of one when he was asleep and broke his arm. I'd be afraid they'd fall if they needed to go to the bathroom at night.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:32 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• my son was scared of the top of his bunk bed but we talked about what he thought was so scary and I told him he needed to just give it some time to adjust and if he wanted he could sleep on the couch. He decided to give it a few more times and now he is used to it. you could also try just having twin beds if they come apart
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 8:34 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Depending on how sturdy they are you can try laying with her. I remember being scared of rolling off when I was younger so they just need to feel secure. You need to find ways to make the top bunk seem fun. Also maybe have them rotate every six months or so when you rotate their mattress.
    andria82

Answer by andria82 at 10:20 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• When we went to look at beds for the girls, the salemen told us they don't recommend anyone under age 8 sleep on the top bunk, so we didn't get them. I think if your daughter is scared you should reconsider where her bed should go.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 8:29 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Do the beds have to be bunked for some reason (like a space issue)? If they don't, go ahead and unbunk them. Don't insist she sleep where she doesn't want to sleep if you don't have to do it.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:34 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• If neither child wants to sleep on top, then they're not ready for bunk beds. Even if this means a mattress on the floor, neither of them should be sleeping on the top bunk.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:28 PM on Nov. 21, 2010