How do you seperate time with your own child(ren) without leaving the others out?

My son was an only child before we became a family of 6. I feel he is leaning toward negative attention because he is not used to the struggle and I feel like a bad mommy that its not like the old days....

brimarie8

Asked by brimarie8 at 11:29 AM on Jul. 5, 2008 in General Parenting

• Well, it's not like the old days but you are NOT a bad mommy.

My best suggestion is to have one-on-one time with him. Take just him out for ice cream and a trip to the park. Spend time listening to him talk away from everyone else.

If he is starting on negative attention, try a reward chart. He can earn points that he can turn in for a reward - a trip out with you. Don't give him toys or sweets, it's you he wants.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I totally agree with the answer above..you said it perfectly.
    cdogdevon

Answer by cdogdevon at 12:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• yes i totally agree with the first response!! that is what i would do. i would set a day where just one gets your undiveded attention. a day dedicated to them! do all the things the love/like
    indepndntbutrfl

Answer by indepndntbutrfl at 12:15 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Get out your calendar and set aside one date for each kid, or double up (if 2 love basketball, take both of them to the court if they don't mind sharing a date). Follow through.

Date ideas-
    restaraunt
    park
    library
    walking
    volunteering
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 12:26 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I did what everyone said with my boys. My older one lived with their dad for a few years, and the younger one was with me. In order to get that one-on-one time, about twice a month we had what we would call a "date". I picked my son up and dropped my other son at their dads. We would go out to eat, or to a movie, or shopping. It was nice to be able to spend that time alone without his brother distracting. He got ALL the attention, and 3 years later, he still talks about our "dates".
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 1:29 PM on Jul. 5, 2008