For those of you with picky eaters, what tricks do you use to get your toddler/preschooler to eat?

Mommy2ThreeOs

Asked by Mommy2ThreeOs at 8:50 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• When my son was that age, I just kept offering him different foods. Some he learned to eat, some he still won't eat. EVERYONE has foods that they will not eat. Just keep offering different foods alongside foods you know they will eat.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:06 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I offer my two year old new foods every so often, but there's no pressure to eat them. I encourage her to take a few bites, but son't make a big deal about it if she simply refuses. Mealtimes battles are now a thing of the past.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:07 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• my son is 3 and my daughter is 2. both are picky. dd wont eat anything that has sauce on it. so i make her alot of pasta without sauce. she eats chicken that isnt seasoned. ds for a yr would only it mac and cheese and hotdogs. so i would blend veggies and put it in the mac and cheese
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 9:07 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• **don't
    Fallaya

• I take care of my three year old nephew quite a lot and he is very picky. He hates meat, will only eat it every so often. He refused eggs until we put a little ketchup or bbq sauce on them so now he eats those. His favorite thing to eat is noodles of any kind. So considering he misses quite a bit of important vitamins and nutrients from most foods we give him vitamins, and at every doctors visit his weight and blood work check out fine. So if you cant get them to eat all the healthy stuff be sure to supplement with vitamins. With my daughter I let her help me prepare easy things at dinner time and gave her 2 days out of the week to pick the menu and eventually she started to choose healthy things like salads to go with meat loaf and mash potatoes and green beans, Her favorite meal. So pretty much try to include them in dinner or lunch prep and make it fun.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 10:36 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• You can hide just about anything in a grilled cheese sandwich! My daughter LOVES having spinach in her Grilled cheese sandwich's!!
    nat1387

Answer by nat1387 at 10:45 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Limit intake of liquids and offer high fat foods is my #1. I noticed that when I quit giving so much milk and juice she would eat more at meals. Also, be okay with a mess. I let her eat how she wants, for as long as it takes her. She can use silverware or not. If she doesn't want her bib, I just undress her. I've also noticed that she will say she's done and want out of her chair, and then come over to the table and eat off our plates. We let her! More food in her tummy. I really recommend carnation instant breakfast so that you know they are getting proper nutrition. My DD has a glass every morning. Don't bother with pediasure, if you read the label you will see that it's almost exactly the same only carnation has more vitamins and less sugar, and is way cheaper. We also don't make as much prepared foods, or add real ingredients to everything we make.
    littlemissmj

Answer by littlemissmj at 10:18 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Thank you everyone! I've noticed that I have an easier time getting them to eat earlier in the day and then have to "fight" them during dinner. Maybe since they do eat a decent amout in the afternoon they might not need as much in the evening? What do you think?
    Mommy2ThreeOs

Comment by Mommy2ThreeOs (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Most likely. If their weight and iron is checking out good then I wouldn't worry to much because obviously they are getting what they need just in a different way. As long as they are eating good at lunch then dinner should be fine just let them eat as they please but I would try to keep them at the table until you are done eating that way they understand that it is family time and who knows maybe they will get bored of just sitting there and decide to eat more.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 1:06 PM on Nov. 21, 2010