few questions on water breakage..

can your water break when your peeing? if so will i be able to tell the difference?

also..

so how common is it to have your water break in public or away from home or hospital? should i start bringing along an extra change of clothes?

alyssa1989

Asked by alyssa1989 at 8:51 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• its usually not the huge gush you see in movies. When you get up there,37 weeks or so,start wearing a pad.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:52 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I think it's fairly uncommon and usually just a trickle. I think a lot of people can't tell, but start to suspect it because it doesn't stop. I've had 3 kids and had to have my water broken 2 out of 3 times. The one time it broke naturally I got to the hospital really late, at 9 cm, and my water broke just as she was about to come out. That was an explosion! But I don't think it would typically explode like that if it broke before you were in labor.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 8:57 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• when my water broke there was no way i could have mistaken it for me peeing. it sounded as if a water balloon was dropped from the ceiling and it was a huge sploosh!!
    DelaneyD

Answer by DelaneyD at 9:31 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Yes it can break at any time.
    You might not notice at that moment but you will when you get up and walk around. It will continue to leak for most of us.
    It can break anywhere that you are. (If it breaks and you go about normal life you might leak on the clothes.)
    So yah, you can bring extra clothes.

I sure went through a LOT of laundry and maxi pads and towels everyday after mine broke because my labor didn't start for a while.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:35 PM on Nov. 20, 2010