How long does it take to housetrain a puppy?

I know it depends on the dog and the consistancy etc. but in general how long does it take? Hes about 7 weeks old, healthy, and a great eater. Also, would it be easier to train him to the puppy pads then outside, or just straight to the outdoors?

mlmkjw

Asked by mlmkjw at 9:04 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Pets

• It is gonna take a couple of months, at least. I worked for a lady that trained dogs. Take the puppy outside to go, that way he does not get used to going in the house. If you have to leave during the day, crate him. Make sure the crate is large enough for him to stand in, lay in, but also small enough that if he has to go, he won't want to. Dogs don't like to have to be to close to thier waste.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 9:09 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I would not recommend using the puppy pads. It confuses them. Just take him outside so he has no confusion as to where to go. I agree with the crate training. I've crate trained all my dogs.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:22 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I heard that they cannot reliably control their bladder/bowels until 4 months.
    Piperbaby

Answer by Piperbaby at 9:09 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I believe that a dog is not fully trained for a few months...cause they cant hold their bladder for longs periods of time.... I dont like the pee pad technique, I think crate training is the way to go I have two succefully housebroken dogs that were crate trained.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 10:21 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Generally, the larger the breed, the longer it takes, every dog is different. Some breeds are really tough, Yorkies are the top on my list. Labs are incredibly quick to house train..again GENERALLY speaking. Most dogs really have the idea of not having an accident in the crate, and going when you take them outside by 12-16 weeks, but that is with training, using a crate and being consistent...and only about 4-5 hours. 7-11 weeks they really need to go out every 2 hours, their bladders just aren't developed...usually. Putting your dog on a feeding and watering schedule will also help. You can go to this great training website and find a superbly written house training document. Ha ha.. Anyway, good luck and here you go!

http://finecanine.co

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:50 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• crate training is a wonderful way to train a puppy, just google " crate training puppies"
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:17 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Because he is so young it could take a bit longer but if you use puppy pads he will never be fully housebroken. Those things teach dogs that it is okay to go in the house. Crate training helps housebreak them faster. My youngest dog was house broken in 3 weeks. My oldest dog took about a month and a half and my third dog was an adult when we adopted him so he only took about 2 weeks
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:48 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• We crate train. NO puppy pads, confusing to teach them to go then not go. Just take them out, even if you catch them mid pee or poop. Use the same word every time, POTTY, or OUTSIDE.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:19 AM on Nov. 23, 2010