Does anyone have any help for a couple trying extremely hard to conceive??

5 months and counting.
Tried Ovulation Tests & Calendars.
Very discouraged right now.

MsVanillaCNN

Asked by MsVanillaCNN at 9:19 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• Start charting. The calendars only work if you have a cycle that is exactly like they say.

Charting will tell you when YOU are ovulating. It will also help you understand if you are fertile...fertile is not the same thing as ovulating.

Have sex only ever other day not every day or his sperm will be weak.

A good reference that you should look into is Taking Charge of your Fertility by Toni Weschler
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:24 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Thank you...
    MsVanillaCNN

Comment by MsVanillaCNN (original poster) at 9:25 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:27 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I am in the same boat as you... we have been ttc for 7 months. I am taking temp, opks, cp, cm.... trying ot be patient and hopeful... but I know it gets preety hard...
    isabellem

Answer by isabellem at 11:18 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Ditch the OPKs and calculators. Both of HIGHLY inaccurate.

OPKs detect LH which preceeds ovulation. The problem with OPKs is that you can sometimes have LH surges when you are NOT going to ovulate. This is more common in women who have come off of birth control in the last year, women who are breastfeeding and women who are nearing menopause but it can happen in all women. Basically you could get a positive and think you've ovulated and then not be as dilagent about intercourse and end up missing your ovulation.

Ovulation calculaters assume that all women ovulate on either the 14th day of their cycle or 14 days before the beginning on the next cycle. The problem is that is NOt true for MOST women. Women ovulate between 11 and 17 days before the beginning of the next cycle but unless you know how long your luteal phase is (which is doubtful since you are not currently charting) and your cycles are PERFECT meaning
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 11:18 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• never a day late, never a day early, etc. you are not going to be able to predict it.

The BEST and MOST effective way is to chart cervical mucus and cervical position to detect ovulation followed by basal body temperature to confirm ovulation.

You can learn about all of this in the book TAKING CHARGE OF YOUR FERTILITY. This book is THE GO TO GUIDE for charting for pregnancy sucess.

I did the OPKs, Calenders, and even a 300 dollar fertility monitor for 8 months with NO SUCESS. I was devestated. It was the most emotionally painful thing I've ever been through. Then I learned about charting and got pregnant in ! MONTH.

20 months after we had our DD we decided we were ready again and got pregnant in 1 MONTH with charting.

I recommend it to ANYONE. I now know how must of a complete WAIST OPKs, monitors and calenders are.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 11:26 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• You can chart for FREE at http://www.fertilityfriend.com/.

If you ever need me to look at your charts to make sure your ovulating, make sure there are no luteal phase defect issues, look for progesterone issues, etc. I would be glad to. These things are very easy to pinpoint via looking at your chart once you get used to it.

miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 11:29 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• My husband ate Seafood and according to him it helps the "little men count". lol Good luck and I hope it happens.
    mom2be_25

Answer by mom2be_25 at 12:51 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Don't have sex every day either, your husbands sperms may need time to recover between times.
    pbilotti

Answer by pbilotti at 7:33 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Healthy couples with no fertility issues take up to 18 months to conceive. It's not as easy as it sounds. You ovulate about half way through your cycle. (28 day cycle ovulate day 14) Having sex every other day or so from days 10-20 should cover most anyone. Take prenatal vitamins to boost what your body may be lacking. And yes certain seafood do produce strong swimmers. Tuna,mackarel,herring,salmon,oysters and prawns most notably. B-12 will boost his sperm count and vitamin C and selenium will boost sperm mobility.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:10 PM on Nov. 21, 2010