Does anyone ever really get over being raped? (serious question)

mommysangelface

Asked by mommysangelface at 9:46 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Health

• Completely get over, no. Does it get easier to handle with time? Yes. It has been 12 years and I still occasionally have flash backs. Time takes the sting out of it but it will always be a part of my life.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:47 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I don't think that is something you can "get over." I think it is something people have to work through and never really get rid of.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 9:48 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• its been a little over a year for me and it happened in front of my youngest son. I cant seem to let it go. And when i look at my little oby i feel guilty
    mommysangelface

Comment by mommysangelface (original poster) at 9:49 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• For me it has been 18 years, it's not gone or completely forgotten, but it has moved to the back of my mind.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:50 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• how can i get mine to do that???? sometimes i want to lash out but i cant
    mommysangelface

Comment by mommysangelface (original poster) at 9:53 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I will agree with the other posters. It's not gone, or completely forgotten. It surfaces it's nasty head sometimes, but most of the time it's not right there anymore.
    For me, it's been 22 years.
    If you have not gone to counseling, Please go.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:59 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• ive tried counseling layh41407. it makes me hate myself cuz i feel i let my youngest son down because he saw it
    mommysangelface

Comment by mommysangelface (original poster) at 10:01 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Try someone else.
    Trust me hon, you have no reason to hate yourself. You are not to blame. You are not at fault. Counseling hurts, it can rip you open and bring back everything but once you can get past that, it heals.
    I was 14 when I was raped. I hated myself for a long time. I felt worthless for a long time. Then, I finally confided in someone and they took me to their pastor. I wasn't really religious then, (i'm still not) but it was a step in the right direction.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:16 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• its like right now i keep crying on and off. i cant sleep without the sleeping pills my doctor has given me. On the nights i try to sleep without them i have nightmares and i remember them in detail. My husband is at his wits end. He is so suppotive but i feel like a burden on him
    mommysangelface

Comment by mommysangelface (original poster) at 10:19 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I wish I could reach thru the computer screen, give you a big hug, and cry with you.
    You are not a burden to anyone.
    It's hard, really hard, I know
    Put post it notes around your bath room, telling yourself how wonderful you are. that you are not a burden. Look in the mirror and tell yourself that you are worthy of love. Smile when you say it, even though it hurts. Do this every morning and every night.
    Look at the good you have. when those negative thoughts creep in, focus on one good thought. Keep that thought. it takes practice and work.
    And know, that you are not alone. If you ever need support... just send me a message.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:29 PM on Nov. 20, 2010