What dog shampoo do you like to use?

I have white dogs, and some shampoos they sell at the pet stores are worthless I have noticed. I often use my horse's shampoos, whitening like Quick Silver, or Cowboy Magic and when I use a dog shampoo it is Snowy Coat, which used to be made by Lambert Kay, now made by Fresh N Clean I believe. I have used that one over 20 years!

Wondering what you are using?

spottedpony

Asked by spottedpony at 9:53 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Pets

• One from the vets office I work for. For my dog I like Vet Solutions Omega-3 cucumber melon. My cats I use Davis Flea shampoo w/ aloe. NOt because they have fleas- I just love the smell of it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:55 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Baby shampoo is really not the best choice. It can dry out their skin. Our Ph is so different than theirs. Plus if you use topical flea protection it can strip the oils and make it not work as well.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:56 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• This was the general consensus about Dawn Dish soap for dogs

You have your work cut out for you, keeping all those dogs clean! I can tell you are a devoted dog owner. I must admit I am a bit surprised that a professional dog groomer would use a detergent made for washing dishes, pots, and pans to wash dogs. There are plenty of wonderful dog shampoos on the market that are safer and more effective than dish soap. Dawn is great at cutting grease and I have even recommended it in a pinch to make up a home remedy for de-skunking dogs, but over time, it will dry them out and it lacks the proper Ph balance for canine skin and coat.

This was dogchannel and dogster, I googled Dawn dish soap for dogs.

I use an Oatmeal one for moisturizing and dry skin. Makes their coats beautiful too.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 12:32 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• YOu should use Dog shampoo on dogs. They use Dawn in the oil spill because it cuts the oil. It also dries out skin and takes off all the natural oils making them itchy. If you use Frontline or Advantage the dawn will wash that right off to leading you TO fleas not away form them. Even if you aren;t on a flea preventative using Dawn for fleas is not going to work. It has no residual effect. they will have fleas again as soon as they go back outside because clearly they are in the environment. You have to prevent fleas not just wash them away to get them under control

I use an Aloe and Oatmeal shampoo I got form my vet. It was recommended because it won't take off the oils and the Frontline I use each month.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I only bathe my dogs in baby shampoo, primarily because it's gentle and won't make their eyes tear.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 9:54 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I used Suave Balsam and Protien
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:59 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I use Harts Oatmeal with aloe beads or Hartz flea and tick oatmeal formula. Both soothe itchy skin and my dog had an infection as a puppy that left her with very sensitive, itchy skin. She's black so we don't have to worry about whitening her coat, but neither of those has any dyes.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 10:02 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I also use Harts Oatmeal!! but, my neighbor just told us about using dawn dish soap.... and come to think of it, thats what they use on animals in an oil spill. It will get them nice and clean, and also the lather is thick enough to suffocate the fleas! I might try that!!
    RachWell

Answer by RachWell at 10:15 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• i have only used dawn dish soap, works great.
    tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 11:55 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• We use Isle of Dogs. Sometimes I use BioGroom.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:24 AM on Nov. 21, 2010