what is a good way to get my daughter to use the big potty...without falling off I'm not there to help her up and then back down?

My daughter is 20 mos old and I'm pretty sure that she's ready to start potty training however, she refuses to use her baby seat. She'll go on the big potty if I put her up there but if I set her on 'her' seat, she just won't go and keeps pointing to the big potty saying 'potty! potty!'. It would honestly be easier for me if she just used the big potty anyways because there is a half bath downstairs and we spend most of the day downstairs and her baby potty won't fit in that bathroom. I thought about getting a step stool or something but I'm afraid that she'll fall in the potty and not be able to get back out (she's pretty skinny). Is there a way to do it safely? Or, is there a way to get her to go on her potty (and is there a smaller one to put in the half bath?) Thanks:-)

AutumnsMom31309

Asked by AutumnsMom31309 at 9:56 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Get her a potty insert. I makes the hole smaller so that she doesn't have to hold herself up.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:58 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• The seat on the potty we bought fitted on the big potty so she didn't fall in and the base became the little step she needed to get up there.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 9:59 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I have a potty insert upstairs but no room for one down. Do you just leave it in the potty or take it out every time she's done using it?
    AutumnsMom31309

Comment by AutumnsMom31309 (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• my daughter has a potty insert and we take it off when she is done.. she has even learned to put it on herself
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 11:35 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• They have a toilet seat that has a toddler seat built into it, it just folds up when shes done. i think they sell them at home depo. We have one and it works for both my 4 1/2 year old and my now 3 year old that wanted to copy her big brother when she was little so we bought it.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 11:38 PM on Nov. 20, 2010