How can i get my son to CALM DOWN!?!?

My son is SOOOOOO wild (and im not exaggerating!) He's constantly being extremely loud and super obnoxious. When i (or anyone for that matter) try to play with him he gets wayy out of hand and hyper. And it just gets worse when other people are around! Sadly, i absolutely hate taking him anywhere with me! I try not to give him any sugar, and limit juice to once a day. but nothing is working! How in the world can I calm him down?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You don't say how old he is but if he's older than 2, I'd be taking him to the doctor for an evaluation.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 9:59 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Yeah I'm with you! we joke that my 3 year old has enough energy to power our entire county =) Try reading to him a couple times a day, and let him pick the books (it helped my son sit and listen if he picked the books). Sometimes when we play we see how fast he can run from point A to point B..He loves it and it gets alot of his energy out. We also put on music and dance for hours =)
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 10:01 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• its really hard to say without seeing the child behave in person, but does he get enough play time throughout the day? is the only child? im sorry im answering with another question. .. um, could be a possibility that he doesnt get his energy out, but if it is happening only when someone plays with him to a certain extent its kinda normal. talk with your doc.
    KaisMother

Answer by KaisMother at 10:04 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• he gets plenty of play time throughout the day. and yes he's an only child!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:05 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I'd start with your doctor.
    It is possible that he is not sleeping well (even if he appears to be sleeping well); a sleep study would give you some answers there. ADHD is another possibility, but lack of good sleep can mimic ADHD; since he is probably under 5 I'd check out the sleep deprivation theory first.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 10:21 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• A lot of kids just like to act our for the attention. With my daughter, we did something called the "holding method". Basically, my husband or I sat down on her floor and held her (in a hug but trap the feet as well) basically, we weren't hurting her but she couldn't move, and she couldn't get away. You child will scream for awhile and you wont want to go out into public but it worked wonders on our daughter. I know it kind of makes you go "huh?" but do some reading and google and you can see the research behind it and why its effective on some children.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 10:23 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Our daughter is the same way. Recently we got rid of ALL sugar in her diet, besides juice. When she got Juice it was before 2pm and it was half juice half water. Other than that NO sugar at all. We stopped letting her watch cartoons in the afternoon only for a short time in the morning and for a short time in the evening. Weather parents believe it or not T.V. actually hypes kids up. When she is allowed to watch T.V. she HAS to be sitting on the couch with her blanket and pillow ( I think this makes it more relaxing) and if she gets up off the couch T.V. gets shut off. Kids thrive off of schedule so try and make sure that he is on a very set schedule this will help more than you think. Consistency is KEY!!!
    nat1387

Answer by nat1387 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Massages work great with young kids in terms of calming them down.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 12:13 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• try wearing him out and see if that helps
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:17 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Wow, it sounds like you've gotten some really helpful responses already! I might try discontinuing an activity if his behavior is inappropriate. Hope you find some solution(s).
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 12:52 AM on Nov. 21, 2010