Single moms only!!!!!

Do you ever feel like your married friends have no idea how hard it is for you to make ends meet every single damn month? My dd's best friends mom told me I should be putting away $100 a month for her upcoming overnight school function, as she sat matter of factly next to her hubby who has a six figure job.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• boy kissing momI completely understand. I'm a single mother myself and my father who watches my son sometimes always tells me I should be saving more. I'm like with what money. Being a single mother is not easy. I kinda like it being my son and me, but sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have a man in my life.

Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 10:15 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I'm not a single mother any more, but when I was I struggled just to have enough food to feed the kids and myself... and many times I went without because there WASN'T enough. So YES! I understand and think people don't think through their "advice" 100% before they open their mouths. They seem to think everyone has the same income and such as them when they don't.

Just do what you can and remember your kids will love you regardless. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:08 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• YES! I will be the first to admit that I have it much easier than a lot of single moms, because my son's father is very involved. But a lot of my friends who are not single moms don't really understand. Then again, a lot of them are really supportive.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:09 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• yes
    and they do not think of how hard it is to be alone in raising child
    NO time for yourself
    they complain about their husband not helping enough
    how about no help ever
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:11 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• To be honest, saving money is a luxury for most people.
    A hell of a lot of good it will do them when it's taken by the state for nursing home care or used to cover a major illness.
    One mishap--and it's gone.

On the other hand, yup---was a single mom, sometimes with 2 cents left in my checking account....they really don't have any idea what it is to be that broke---on the outside, you can appear to "have everything" or "have too much" but if they had any clue, they would see that you have generic food, eat meat once a week or less, never go out unless it's on someone else's dime, never have money for extras like school lunch, holidays, or a package of hotdogs.
    My friends and family never knew, I never complained-and kept my mouth shut.
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 11:37 AM on Nov. 21, 2010