Non-Catholics - Would you be upset to find out you recieved Last Rights at the hospital?

Of course assuming you lived after wards...

I'm watching something on TV and this guy was shot in the head, they didn't believe he was going to live, and last rights were given at the hospital...

Which made me wonder, ALL of our local hospitals are "Catholic" Hospitals and last rights are automatic for those who aren't going to make it regardless of your religious beliefs. For me, I couldn't care less, but I know some that would be rather upset by it...

What about you?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:08 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would be upset. But I am Seventh Day Adventist and I believe the Catholic church is more evil than most people know.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 10:11 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Last Rites as in - "The Catholic sacrament of Anointing of the Sick, formerly known as Last Rites or Extreme Unction, is a ritual of healing." ?? I ask because I know I've heard the term before but I can't recall the meaning and I had to google it! lol
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:11 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• My mother was in a Catholic hospital when she died, and they asked first. In her case it didn't matter since she'd already had it several times from another priest, but they didn't just do it automatically, and that was knowing she was Catholic. Same with my grandfather, they offered, but didn't assume.

If it were done it's done, so not much that could change it, but the assumption would bother me more, if that actually happened.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:11 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• "I would be upset. But I am Seventh Day Adventist and I believe the Catholic church is more evil than most people know."

As I'm sure all of the other religions feel about one another secretly.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:12 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I couldn't care less. I would rather they didn't waste their time. I worked with a catholic nurse and she did them with every patient that was close to death if they were alone and she asked the family with everybody who had somebody in the room. In an emergency situation any catholic can perform the last rights on somebody.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:13 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Most likely. I believe that the Pope is the Antichrist.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 10:14 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I'd probably try to sue the hospital. They don't have the right to impose their religious beliefs on me or my almost dead body

Answer by admckenzie at 10:14 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• What are Last Rites? I cn't answer without knowing if the definition I looked up wa correct. :( And now it;s killing me NOT to know and someone's about to be Last Riting me! lol
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:16 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I don't think so. I am not Catholic, but I recognize that it is something they would have done out of true concern. Being annointed or blessed never hurt anyone.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 10:17 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I might upset just because I had no say in it.... but then again i guess I could understand the perspective of the hospital.... If someone was brought in with a gunshot wound and unconcious and may die how do they know he's not catholic? how do they decide whether he would have wanted it or not... I think it's more of airing (I know I spelled it wrong I'm sleepy :) on the side of caution. I dont think they would do it to offend just as a precaution.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 10:17 PM on Nov. 20, 2010