abnormal blood work for the afp test and im scared

well ladies i went to my doc today and i found out the blood work was for the afp test which came back abnormal and she wants to send me to a specialist for a ultrasound and im scared all i want is a healthy baby she wants to check for something with the baby's spine i cant remember the name so do i just go everyday living and doing my normal stuff like work and being a mom what should i do?? and my chances are 1 in 10% she said also

wiggsbabe

Asked by wiggsbabe at 10:18 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The AFP test has a VERY high false positive rate. I think what you're thinking of is spina bifida? Is that right? My niece has spina bifida. Maybe you can find a group here of Mother's who children have that diagnosis so you can get any and all questions you have answered, it might help with all the unknown. I know what's it's like to find out there might be something "wrong" with your child, my oldest has Down Syndrome, I think for me the unknown was the hardest. If you need someone to talk to feel free to message me =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:23 PM on Nov. 20, 2010