Why do some people seem to hate hybrid dogs?

I have a Chiranian, she is a great little dog. We bought a hybrid from a reputable breeder because well genetic variety is a good thing. I know the hybrids are not everyone's cup of tea but some people are down right hateful about them.

daisysrdeadly

Asked by daisysrdeadly at 10:18 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Pets

• Yes, there are a lot of things that can go wrong when people who don't know what they are doing are breeding an animal. And you have no idea how difficult it is to discourage certain individuals from breeding or even neutering their pet. Most of them want to have a puppy from their pet. UGH. The worst is to see a nice family purchase a pup from such a source only to have it die before a year of age. Or a nice family who has the cutest little 12 week old pup and it tries to take their face of...on a daily basis. *Neat* I have seen a LOT of health issues and instability from irresponsible breedings. BLAH. Best wishes to you...hope you get that degree pronto!!!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:39 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Because there are far too many unwanted Hybrid dogs in shelters. There is no such thing as a reputable hybrid breeder. They are all backyard breeders who needed money and instead of getting a job bred their dogs.

If you wanted whatever the hell it is you called your dog you could have gone to your local animal shelter and found one.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:19 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• To clarify I don't hate the dogs I hate the puppy mills and back yard breeders. I hate that people actually believe that there are reputable breeders purposely breeding mutts. I hate that people are supporting the puppy mills and BRB by buying these dogs. I don't see why they can't support the shelters and rescues instead. they can find many wonderful " designer dogs" there
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:46 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Hybrid dogs? What do they run on something else other than gas?
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 10:27 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Yes, people are outspoken against designer dogs breeds/ hybrids, and when it comes to kids and dogs people certainly have STRONG opinions! I have met a LOT of hybrids, some with health and temperament problems, and some are great! I really think a lot of them are very cute and some do have some better qualities than the parent breeds. I like a lot of the hybrids I meet.

What I dislike is the fact that we are encouraging breeding mutts and glamorizing this process, with cute labels. That people feel validated breeding any dog A with any dog B and many do it to make money on the cute factor. Health and temperament are going out the window in my opinion, I think just wait and see. The acceptance for high priced hybrids will only fuel puppy mills and bybs. So that is a problem too. And the new trend... hybrid owners going to a "breeder" when shelters and rescues are full to the brim with hybrids of all ages? I don't get that.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:58 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• They are not hybrids because both of the purebred dogs are of the same species. I think it is absolutely sickening that Puppy mills have taken advantage of this FAD and have bred whatever they hell combination that they have wanted to. The person who begin breeding Labradoodles had very good intentions. This Mix was created for a man that needed a service dog but was allergic. They are still Mutts. If you look hard enough you can find the same mixes in shelters even before this fad became popular. I also think it is ridiculous that people are paying more for mutts then purebreds. The "breeders" are not reputable if they were they certainly would not be breeding mutts. They don't care about the health or well being of the animals that are being bred. I love mutts (have 3) but I don't see why you can't just go to the shelter and save one of the many "designer dogs" that this country had to begin with.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:20 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Aww... I love my baby! She's the cutest little Puggle.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:19 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I love hybrids! I want a Bugg so bad! My grandma used to raise and sell Boston Terriers and Pugs and if only she would've crossed them! That's how I got my Boston Terrier and I love her to pieces, but I still want a Bugg. They're adorable!
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 10:21 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Some people are just not happy people and have to judge! I think they are all cute
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 10:21 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• spottedpony the puppy mills are a problem for all breeds and so are back yard breeders <--- anyone who does not look at back ground and genetics before breeding two dog. My big dog is a shelter dog and our little dog is a breeder dog. Our local shelter will not rehome puppies to families with children under 6. My big dog has some issues with new adult dogs he is not so much vicious but more like unsocialized which makes him unpredictable. So we decided to get a puppy for my DD from a breeder. I totally understand what you are saying but a mutt which is some random concoction of breeds that usually breed by accident is different from true respectable breeders who breed to separate breeds to try to avoid genetic disabilities.
    daisysrdeadly

Comment by daisysrdeadly (original poster) at 11:08 PM on Nov. 20, 2010