• In the Spotlight:

If something were to happen to you, would you trust your family to take care of your child(ren)?

Who would you want to take care of your child(ren) in the event something happened to you?

I would trust DH's family in a heartbeat. I know they would take good care of him (our son) even if their parenting styles are different.

However, my family? Forget it. I'd trust a foster family over mine. I swore before I even got pregnant that they'd never be allowed to be responsible for any of my kids. I still feel that way and that's going never going to change.

Edit to add: This is if something happens to both you and your s/o.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 11:00 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would trust both families, but we have decided to make my best friend the guardian if my husband and I both die. I prefer them to go to her. I think she would give them the best upbringing. My parents have severe medical issues. My siblings all have some reason I would prefer my kids not go to them. Nothing horrible, but differences from our way of raising our kids. Dh's parents would be good, and that is who we wanted the kids to go to, but it infuriated my mom, because she felt rejected. Dh has a sister but she lives half way across the country, so she is out.

We are quite happy now with our decision.

Plus, there is a lot of tension between my parents and dh's parents, so this way they can split time evenly.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:07 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I hope to god if something ever happens to me that primary custody will go to my parents and not to his dad.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 11:02 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I'm so glad I don't have to worry about this anymore. It would have been my mom, but I really didn't feel like I had a good choice. Now they are all over 18, so I don't have to worry about it.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:10 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• There was honesty a point in time when there was no one for me to turn too. My ex was in jail, his mother had passed, his sisters are all druggies, his dad hated me for putting his son in jail. My family is worse then his,,,,lol, My dd is 18 now too and Im so grateful that I got us that far. Ex is a much better father today so my ds would go live with him if something happened to me now....thank you God
    Anonymous

• My daughter is closer to my family, so I would definitely feel better knowing that they have her. Though she does get along well with my husband's family, she still doesn't know them well enough to be left with them. My husband no longer has his parents, so it would just be his siblings that have her. I still have my grandparents and my parents along with my aunts and uncles, so yeah. I'll go with my family.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 11:02 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• But of course I'm only saying my family in case something happened to my husband. Of course if something happened to me, my daughter would go to him. But if something happened to both of us, I'd want my family to care for her.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 11:03 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• My family I would trust in a heartbeat. Well my parents or my sister anyway, my brothers have a bit of growing up to do before I would really trust them. My ex's family, nope, no way in hell. I love my ex's mom but the town she lives in is horrible for schooling and is very racist. I don't want my son growing up there. Now if she moved to another town that might be a different story. As for the rest of his family, no. His brother already treats him like a second class citizen so I can't imagine how he would treat our son.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:09 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I would trust my family. My mom and sister pretty much. Dh's family has lots of issues.
    BMW0508

Answer by BMW0508 at 11:12 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• It was a very difficult decision for us. My mom is flighty and very selfish. His mom is nearly 80 and can barely care for herself. DH has 3 sisters. One is too much like my mom, expecting the kids to parent themselves. One has a special needs child, who will be forever 3 in an adult body. and the other is single, and unlikely to be very caring. It really was the lesser of the evils and we chose the single sister. I am not comfortable with the choice particularly, but it's what we have for the moment.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:20 PM on Nov. 20, 2010

• I decided awhile back to make sure i had a good relationship with my daughters dads. Custody would go to them. If something happened to me and them at the same time, I trust both my sisters would be good with my girls.
    VGonzalez73

Answer by VGonzalez73 at 11:28 PM on Nov. 20, 2010