Do you have any home remedies for an ear infection?

I believe dd has an ear infection. She complained about her ear a couple times then just started crying because it hurt. Being that it's Saturday night her doctors office is closed. They have urgent care open tomorrow but not until 11am. I've given her a warm compress and motrin as well as have 2 pillows under head so she's not toalky laying flat.
Does anyone have any other suggestions to relieve the pain incase she wakes up crying again? I let her sleep with me tonight and she's been sleeping an hour now. Oh yea she's 5 years old if that makes a difference.
TIA!

Jessica45

Asked by Jessica45 at 11:46 PM on Nov. 20, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I never take my kids in for ear infections anymore, that's how well this works! On my middle dd, she used to have them all the time, but now she never does. Get a bottle of EXTRA virgin olive oil and put 5 drops in the affected ear. Put a 1/2 a piece of cotton ball in that ear. Have her lay on the good ear so this one has a chance to absorb the oil. Lay this way for at least 15 minutes. The oil will not only heal the ear infection but also is a pain reliever for it as well. You can do this "treatment" 4 times a day or at least twice a day until it is no longer painful. As a preventive, I do this after every shower or bath my kids have to ward them off. My kids haven't had an ear infection since they were 2. They are now 10 and almost 9 yrs old. I would try not to use Tylenol or Ibuprofen but if you must - use Ibuprofen. It will be more effective and lasts longer than Tylenol. HTH!!!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 12:07 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• You can put a few drops of garlic oil or peroxide in the ear. Like the PP said, olive oil works. Many people crush a fresh clove of garlic into the olive oil and then drop it in.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:10 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• if she is crying she needs to go to the er. My 5 year old had an ear infection a couple months ago and they told me she had a really bad ear infection and gave her meds. She was also crying
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:05 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• If she is in pain, then she needs to go to the ER. My friends son had an ear infection so bad, his eardrum burst. I NEVER fool around with ears or eyes. Do NOT do any home remedies until you find out what type of ear infection your child has.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:48 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Be careful about the peroxide. My naturopath said to stay away from the ears with it if they're infected. Garlic is a natural antibiotic and oil from it would be very beneficial. If you can put that in her ear first and then a drop of olive oil you'd be in business! I just went out and bought this homeopathic remedy that is garlic oil and mullinax oil. It worked wonders! No needless antibiotics to knock out my kid's immunes systems! Praying your girl gets to feeling better!
    Carrielayne

Answer by Carrielayne at 2:59 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• tyfry: My dd's ear drums burst twice and this is what our pedi recommended because she'd grown immune to all antibiotics. Eyes are another story, but ears CAN and ARE better dealt with (the right way) at home.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 3:27 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Similsan Ear ache relief drops. Use a hair dryer on low to blow in the ear. This will melt any wax build up & allow drainage.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:44 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Highlands and Similisan make homeopathic ear drops that work very well.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:23 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• a garlic clove on their ear or some drops of garlic oil.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 4:43 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• hylands, olive oil and lots of love... but then again my 3 and 2 year olds have each only had 1 ear infection.
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:39 PM on Nov. 22, 2010