Does anyone have any solutions to get breast milk supply up. I initially was not going to breastfeed. Now that I am I am not producing enough for her and need to find a way to increase my supply so she doesnt have to supplement with formula.

mbrown215

Asked by mbrown215 at 12:03 AM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Covratulations on your decision to breastfeed!! You can do this! First, get a lactation consultant. They will have some great ideas, and help you get things going smoothly. Second, to get your supply up, try fenugreek, mother's milk tea, and oatmeal. Ultimately, the best way to get your supply up is to NURSE NURSE NURSE!! You can also pump on one side while you nurse on the other to build up your freezer stash if needed (if you plan to pump). Rally as much support around you as possible. You'll need some help getting over the hurdles that we all come across. YOU CAN DO THIS! =) You've made a wonderful decision, and I hope is goes really well for you!!
    Also, how are you gauging your supply? As long as she seems satisfied, and has 8-10 wet diapers a day, she's getting plenty.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:08 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• what worked for me, was drinkin lots and lots of water, and eat oatmeal, thats what my doctor told me to do, and worked really well for me :) I was able to nurse my daughter till she was around 14 months ... Good luck
    ashcrash

Answer by ashcrash at 12:05 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• There are several breast feeding groups here. Join one. They really help.

Why do you think You are not producing enough milk? How old is your baby? Are you pumping or only direct nursing? What is your daily diaper count?

Many women get bad information and they have tons of milk and they are told they don't have enough. You might not have any problems at all.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:06 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• When I was nursing my 4th child and became pregnant my milk supply went down. The public health nurse basically said I was starving my child if I wouldn't give her a bottle. I worked hard on trying to get more sleep, or at least rest, drinking lots of water and eating well. Above all else keep nursing because that stimulates the producton of more milk whereas less nursing(using a bottle) means your body thinks you need to make less.
    And see if you can find a La Leche League group in your area. Don't give up. Good luck.
    starflower57

Answer by starflower57 at 12:17 AM on Nov. 21, 2010