How to make a house a home?

What can I do to make my home more inviting?

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 12:15 AM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Inviting to who?
    tsjpop

Answer by tsjpop at 12:17 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• my friends and family. and just to make our home more 'us' instead of just anone in the world
    lmt_mom2010

Comment by lmt_mom2010 (original poster) at 12:18 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I always consider a house a home when it isn't spotless, it looks lived in, the family is happy and lives a happy full life. It isn't how it looks, it how it feels. Full of love.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 12:23 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• What is wrong with it now? HOw is it no inviting? I have found that my home has to be organized and comfortable to me, or it can never be comfortable to anyone else. Comfort, and how I make people at ease when they are here, thats how I make my home inviting.
    tsjpop

Answer by tsjpop at 12:23 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I asked the same question back in August when I moved into my new place. I got some excellent ideas. But, I found that it was just a matter of me feeling at home in my new place. It took a good two months before I felt totally comfortable here. I just decorated the house with lots of pictures of my family, shelving was great for me. I also used mirrors and light. Decide on a color that you could accent with throughout your home. For instance, my home is basically all neutral colors, so I used red to accent with throughout. Use throw pillows, blankets and rugs to fill spaces. Also burn vanilla candles to get the "baking" idea flowing in your house. That always makes it comfortable.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:23 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• If you are trying to make holiday at your house, maybe when you decorate, take down all your photos, wrap them like presents with bows and rehang them, put popcorn on the tree, make your home festive. You can google some ideas. but I agree with an earlier commentor that your house cant be rigid or stiff, it has to be lived in, relaxed if you want others to be relaxed in it.
    tsjpop

Answer by tsjpop at 12:25 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• well, I have a rusticcountry theme, allot of antiques, and crafty items I have allot of beautiful art, and each childs room has allot of tie put into it, now I have expensive tast but chek out piperclassics.com!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 3:12 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Depends on your personality. We keep ours clean, but lived in. We have dinners together, and after clean up, we light candles. We love the cozy smell of a candle. We surround ourselves with things we like. We are all about the cozy this time of year. Fire in the fire place, lots of throws,and throw pillows. Depending on your decorating style, just add what turns you on. We have some art, some nick nacks, some needle work I have done. Family photo's are huge in our house!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:49 PM on Nov. 22, 2010