Am I being oversensitive about my toddler's teacher?

I work at the day care center where my 18 month old goes. I don't work in his room. I have sat back quietly and watched how the toddler teacher acts and speaks to 1 year olds. She yells! Recently, my son and another little boy kept fighting over the same toy. She removed my son from the classroom and put him in a highchair. No toys, nothing to snack on, just to sit there. He was just outside her door (its a half door), but she couldn't see him and left him with the teacher who was setting up lunch. So there was no interaction with him. After 5 minutes, realizing he was the only one out and was not going to be painting I gave him some toys. After another 5 minutes I asked the our boss why my son was sitting there all alone. She said she didn't know and asked his teacher. His teachers reply was that she didn't want to deal with him and the other child who was still playing in the classroom. She said he could stay in the high chair until lunch which was another 15 minutes away. Our boss removed my son and put him in the infant room to play. The teacher was not reprimanded or talk to. My boss' reply to me was that she wasn't going to say anything. I am extremely stressed about the whole situation. I know it is hard being a parent and working there at the same time. But am I being over sensitive about the situation? What would you do as a parent coming to pick up your 18 month old child and he's been left in a high chair with nothing because his teacher doesn't want to deal with him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Nov. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• can of wormsTwo questions:

1)  How come you ask Anonymous

2)  Are you a troll?

I'm not believing it.

anony-mous

Answer by anony-mous at 1:16 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Regardless of the discipline, no child should ever be left unsupervised sitting in a high chair...and if there was an emergency in the building? YIKES. No, you are not being over sensitive, this is a safety issue if you ask me. And that teacher should have been raked over the coals for leaving a child unsupervised like that. There are many better ways to handle a classroom squabble. For one, it is a great opportunity to work on teaching the value of sharing and cooperation. Good luck!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:19 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• While there should certainly be consequences for bad behavior, the teacher and the boss were both wrong. Time out for a child that age should only be about 1 minute. The basic rule of thumb is that time out should last 1 minute per year of age. Speak to the owner of the day care and suggest some training for the teachers regarding the proper way to use time out. If you get no response or a negative response, ask that your child be moved to your own class.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 1:20 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I would have been livid if that were me! You are not being oversensitive at all. In fact, I think I would push the issue further with the boss. Why would she think this was an appropriate thing to do? Has that teacher been there for a long time? Are she and your boss great friends? She has got to be doing that to other kids, then, right or does she have something against you? If I had my child going there, I would chew them up and down for it and let other mom's know. Who would want their children going to a place like that if they knew that would happen? She's a teacher for God's sake; it is her job to handle every type of child. Just pushing them away is so wrong and it doesn't seem like she can handle kids. If your boss did nothing, I would explore other options, like going to state level, not that you want to lose your job, but that needs to stop. Good luck!
    Chocolatespring

Answer by Chocolatespring at 3:09 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I would speak to the supervisor again. As a worker in the system, you know what the training says. This should be able to be handled in a learning fashion. If you find it cannot be, perhaps it is time to move your child and maybe yourself.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:29 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Honestly, i would give notice and leave working there and using the daycare services. not somewhere I know I would want MY child.
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 3:30 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• First things first... No you are not overreacting. Your child should have NEVER been disciplined in such a manner. He is 18 months old for goodness sakes. I think the teacher was way out of line...

Secondly... How badly do you need your job? I ask this only because if you and your husband are able to live comfortably on one salary I would suggest kicking her out of her own classroom and locking her out. I used to work at a daycare facility and I know how they treat the kids in those places. It seems that kids get treated like criminals just for being kids. I know you work at one and this is not to bad mouth you or any one specifically just the goings on and how bosses do NOTHING to stand up for the kids parents pay to have stay there.

Thirdly...@ anony-mous... Your reply was not very nice. She is defending her child and calling her a troll was uncalled for.
    FirstTimeMom224

Answer by FirstTimeMom224 at 3:31 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Well, if you're a troll, you're an idiot.

Secondly, I would not work for a place that accepts that kind of behavior. I would report ALL of their asses, quit my job,and remove my child from their "care". Good luck.
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 5:13 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• This daycare obviously has unsafe practices, and I would report them to the State authority that licenses daycares.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 7:33 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I find this unbelieveable! I worked teaching preschool in a Montessori school for 5 yrs. The staffs kids were "the chosen ones" We all acted like their parents. We trusted one another, like family! I would find a new daycare! My co-workers loved my kids like their own, and I did theirs. Patients with children is a must when you work in daycare, as well as kindness, and sensitivity. Sounds like this woman is sorely lacking in all.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:16 AM on Nov. 22, 2010