Why isnt my 18 month old talking yet or showing signs ?

I have a 18 month old daughter that isnt really showing signs to start talking she babbles alot but no words aint really coming out and if i tell her go get this or put that back she will listen or if i tell her lets go to the room she'll go and she copes everything she sees but she isnt saying no words or at least trying to say them ..

alexia_09

Asked by alexia_09 at 1:15 AM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You should take her to a pediatric speech therapist. They often do a free screening to tell you if your child needs more or not. It is possible she will explode with speech soon, but better to get some help now in case she does not. Your pediatrician can give you a recommendation. The speech therapists will know just what to do and a LOT of kids go to them!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:29 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• A family friend of mine didn't say a single word until he was 3. Then he yammered on and on and still is at 25 as an English Major in grad school LOL!! My daughter is almost 17 months and refuses to talk. She babbles a little, but no real words. We're working on baby sign language. It's going well. She's got some basic signs down and is using them way more than her grunts hehe! If you are worried/concerned about it then definitely ask your pediatrician! Spottedpony's right, there are lots of kids in speech therapy these days. Nothing wrong with it at all!
    Carrielayne

Answer by Carrielayne at 2:53 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Because every child is different. Honestly, I don't think there is enough cause to rush to a speech therapist but that is up to you. My son didn't really start talking well until he was just over 2 years and I think what helped that was we had joined a play group and he was around other kids. It seemed to help anyway.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:14 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Is this your only child? The reason I ask is that maybe she has no need to talk. Maybe you sense or know what she wants and gives it to her before she asks for it. Why should she learn to talk? But I agree with wildflowers-I think everyone is in too much of a hurry to get to a Dr. today. When she learns that her life is easier-more interesting is when she will learn to communicate with you. Every kid learns at their own rate. My daughter had a lazy tongue. so she always had her words mixed up-until she got to school and had to make sense! Not to worry-she will probably be a jabber-mouth and you'll probably wish that she hadn't ever learned to talk! LOL
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 3:42 PM on Nov. 21, 2010