How do I start my career at 30

I have been a stay at home mom for over 12 years. Now all my kids are in school and times are hard. I would like to go to school but am not even sure what to do. How to decide on a career, or how it all works, or even if it is the right thing to do

mommydown

Asked by mommydown at 1:28 AM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• Make a list of your own strengths and weaknesses and then a list of interests. You can go to your local college and see if they have a career center where they might give you a career aptitude test. Look around in your community for people/careers that interest you and see if you can mentor to find out more about that job.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:34 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I did the same thing. I was a stay at home mom too. I tried to work from home, but found that I could not find a job that would pay enough. I was a substitute teacher for a while too. Then I went to the community college and it wasn't always easy, but I did it.

I suggest that you go to your local community college and talk to an advisor. There are many programs you can complete in two years or less. It is much less expensive than universities and in most cases, you can get financial aid to help pay for it. Classes are small and the faculty is available to you. The one I went to had many different programs to choose from and I found one that fit me to a tee.

Good luck to you!
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 1:40 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I would go to the local community college. I would look into all they have to offer and the type of courses. Go home, look them over. Highlight the ones you would be more interested in doing. Go back, talk to the guidance counselor. Narrow the list down more until you have 1 left that suits exactly where you want to be and would make you happy. There are also courses you can take for just a certificate in a field so you can get back to work faster.
    Medical and Engeneering is demanded now.
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 12:57 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Make sure t0 for grants, hope, etc. Do not make the mistake ofent loan like I did. When you seek the finacial aid advisor, they will help you apply for finacial aid so you can do Hope, etc.
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 12:58 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Take a look at network marketing. Any one can do it. No experience necessary. There are some really good companies. I work with one of the best. If you want to take a look, I will show you. I am also willing to help you.
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 9:43 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Not too late! My mother in law is just starting her new career at 56!!
    isabellem

Answer by isabellem at 10:28 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• GL. You will do great. You are way to young to just stay at home unless you work from home.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 10:28 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• www.juiceplusvirtualfranchise.com
    This is a great way to make a good income and be available for your kids.
    Most of us are raised to think about job security vs financial freedom. It's a different world now, gotta think outside the box. I did, it's great.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 6:14 PM on Nov. 23, 2010