10 yrs old and still wetting the bed

my daughter was potty trained around the age of 2 for over a year, then she began wetting the bed. she just turned 10 and still wets the bed almost every night. We have tried everthing we can think of .... what can we do

mommydown

Asked by mommydown at 2:02 AM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Kids' Health

• What does the Dr. say? It could be a medical problem.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:03 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• If it is not a medical problem, take her to see a therapist, as it is more likely an emotional problem.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 2:05 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• have you had her looked at by a specialist to see if her bladder is maybe underdeveloped? there are also times where a child has an overactive bladder and sleeps too deeply to wake up. my son is on a medication to calm the bladder and he almost never wets the bed now. he is 7.
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 2:06 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• she has had so many things happen to her from a boy messing with her when she was young to drowning in a canel.... she has been diagnosed with adhd and is so tiny. My doctor tells me not to worry about it ... He says she will grow out of it and not to make a big deal out of it
    mommydown

Comment by mommydown (original poster) at 2:07 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Wow, it sounds like she might have some traumatic issues weighing on her. I would agree with neebug, and get her into counseling (if you aren't already) I hope for her sake and yours her troubles are resolved ((hugs))
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 2:14 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Most times wetting the bed has more to do with brain chemistry. Our pediatrician told us everyone's brains are different and mature at different times. My hubby's brother wet the bed til he was 18! But sometimes it is a sign of a specific liver disorder, but if your pediatrician isn't worried about that, I wouldn't be either. Also seeing the things she's had to deal with in life I would wonder if maybe some acupressure would help. There are lots of pediatric acupressure books out there. Acupuncture and acupressure helped me get rid of a lot of yucky feelings and "nervous ticks" from my childhood traumas, which included sexual abuse. It's worth a try and if you can find the books at the library, it's free :-)
    Carrielayne

Answer by Carrielayne at 2:42 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I would take her to another DR. There is nothing wrong with getting a second opinion, especially if you think there might be somethign going on. You can also look into taking her to a therapist because of all the tramatic things that have happened to her. I know my girlfriends son wet his bed and it was because of growth spurts. His bladder did not grow as fast as the rest of him.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:23 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• If it is not a medical issue, it could be emotional or a brain chemistry issue. Talk to your doctor about it. My oldest (now 22) had a bed wetting issue. We tried Goodnights, alarm systems, visualization techniques, limiting liquids past a certain time limiting caffiene-you name it, we tried it. Finally his doctor suggested a certain medication. It worked. He stopped wetting the bed. We were able to take him off the meds when he was 15.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:16 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• If your dr is telling you not to worry about, I might consult another dr for a second opinion.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:28 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• ask for a pediatric uroologist
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 3:39 PM on Nov. 21, 2010