ASTHMA

My 6 mo. yet again is going threw another asthma episode. Dr. prescribed breath treat. very 4-6 hrs. as needed and 1/2 tsp prednisolone 2x a day for 5 days. Seen ped. yesterday and still tonight coughing and coughing i am following peds. instructions...neither of us has slept much the last 2 nights. She is exhausted will fall asleep and then starts coughing and wants to be held...any advice on INFANT ASTHMA any at all ????????????

cdesersa

Asked by cdesersa at 2:05 AM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My little girl had asthma from day one as well. She had marconium in her lungs, so that probably didn't help, but my whole family has it. We have allergies, and asthma awful. She's now 2, but I'm not sure that they give this med to infants, but they do have granules of it available which she took at 1, so you may want to ask. Then I'm just wondering what do you heat your house with? gas, oil, wood, coal, electric? Electric and wood can be very dry, so can the others too though. Do you have a humidifier? Use that in the room they sleep in. Most of them can take vics, and that opens up the air ways as well. Ava was on breathing treatments at about 4 months, and doesn't take them unless necessary now. But I'd try the humidifier, and see about other meds. But I'm thinking you should probably try to get to the er if your little one has been up all night with the coughing. It's so exhausting for their little bodies. Good luck.
    b_stotka

Answer by b_stotka at 9:46 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I'm sorry you are struggling with this, ((hugs)) I hope some more knowledgable moms will post some helpful and encouraging advice here.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 2:32 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Yes, My son has asthma, WE have to get the humidifier out and make sure to give his pulmicort twice a day. he's got sick from his presidone as well. It's been a rollercoaster this year with him beign sick he was diagonsed with asthma at 6 months. Hang in there things will get better!!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 2:46 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Thank you both and yes I've been using a humidifier since July (she was hospitalized with pneumonia @ 2 1/2 mo.) and we have central heat & air. She seems to be doing a lot better she is still sleeping probably catching up. Thanks again
    cdesersa

Comment by cdesersa (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Nov. 21, 2010