how do you go about gaining confidence in oneself

I really would like too know... you need confidence to make something of yourself and if you dont have any how do you gain it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Health

• What are somethings you are good at? Do more of those things. I find when I am giving to others I feel better about myself. Try getting into some volunteer work if you can.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 2:31 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• You have to love & believe in yourself first, then you'll have confidence. Once you've achieved that, the world is yours :) Or, you could join the Army and they will guarantee you confidence in yourself! LOL, I Know, I was in the Army...
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 2:42 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Stay away from people who put you down.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:53 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Take baby steps with it...like try wearing something you normally wouldn't out in public or get your hair done in a new style, as people complement you you will feel yourself feeling more confident also do things yourself instead of someone else doing it. Learning new things, achieving goals, even wearing something dressy for a day these are all things that will help in building up your confidence. Take risks, show no fear and smile even if you don't want to
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:57 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Finding confidence is not the easiest thing to do, let me tell you. I know this because I am still trying to figure this out. What I try to do is think of someone who said something to build me up. Like my mom for example, she always told me how smart and beautiful I was. She also made me feel so loved all the time because there was nothing she didn't want to help me with. Basically, get nostalgic in your life remembering all the positive things and how many people love you that will surely give you confidence. I believe one gains confidence through the love of others and how much they love in return. :) Chin up, heck you're off to a fabulous start right? You had the confidence to ask this question right? Believe it or not asking questions, even as simple as these is tough so you're a confident person, I just think you may need time to see it within yourself. *HUGS*
    FirstTimeMom224

Answer by FirstTimeMom224 at 4:00 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• baby steps, you have to learn to trust your own skills and knowledge. sometimes sitting down and writing down your strengths, things you are knowledgeable at etc helps you remind yourself about all you can accomplish etc. You can choose to believe in YOURSELF and be confident that even if you make mistakes, you will learn from them and grow as a person.
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 4:04 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Self-help books are great starters. There are also classes, as well as counseling. The therapist can help you to find things to make you feel better about yourself as well. Maybe try volunteering somewhere to help people, or visit a nursing home, or helping out an animal shelter by walking dogs or something. Your kids can help you at the animal shelter too.
    b_stotka

Answer by b_stotka at 10:44 AM on Nov. 21, 2010