Is 6 ounces of light beer harmful in pregnancy?

jordan11

Asked by jordan11 at 2:37 AM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Well probably not, but drinking during pregnancy is not a safe activity. 9 months of being alcohol free is a small sacrifice compared to the damage of FAS.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 2:45 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Not if you're doing it once in a blue moon. My midwife has found that it's actually helpful in some cases! Helps mommy relax and increases blood flow to the baby. Red wine is best though, and usually more toward the end of the pregnancy. Just don't indule too often, like more than once a week or so :-)
    Carrielayne

Answer by Carrielayne at 2:45 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I would have to say that it is not safe. Solely because if it effects your body negatively, it affects the baby's. Alcohol does long term damage to grown up livers, I can only imagine what it does to baby's. If it is any consolation, I quit smoking 6 years ago, HOWEVER I was smoking again for a month when I found out I was pregnant. It's hard to give up in the first place and even more difficult to resist the temptation to do it again, pregnant or not. But as I know you do, I love my baby more than my own life and I would sacrifice everything to make sure this pregnancy goes full term and stays healthy. You can do it!! You are AWESOME!
    FirstTimeMom224

Answer by FirstTimeMom224 at 3:21 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I quit the day I found out I was pregnant. I meant I was smoking for a month before I found out. But the day I found out I quit cold turkey. Temptation's still there but for baby, I resist. You can too! :-D
    FirstTimeMom224

Answer by FirstTimeMom224 at 3:23 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• 6 oz maby 1 time during pregnancy is fine but doing it all the time can cause fas and we dont want that to happen..
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 5:12 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I am going to try to find the study I read, and I will come back and give you a link, but I read a study that was done if France I believe, that studied the effect on children whose mothers had  1-3 beers a week (not any hard liquor) and compared them to mothers who had absolutely nothing to drink and they found that 1-3 beers a week would not (or at least did not have any effects on those children). I am pretty sure it is fine, I had an occasional beer during my pregnancy, with no problems. However hard liquor is definitely a no no.

Let me try to find that study and I will post the link.......

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 6:36 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Ok so here is the study I talked about, it discusses light drinking moderate drinking, and heavy drinking, oh and it was in the UK not France sorry......

I don't know how to do the link thing so you can copy and paste it into your browser...

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2023984,00.html
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 6:44 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• If you had it before you knew you were pregnant, it's not going to do anything. But I would never knowingly have that. Why would you? It's not going to make you drunk. Is it just the taste you like? Have a non alcholic beer if you must.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:06 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• There is no safe amount of alcohol to drink while you're pregnant. Why would you take that risk?? Beer isn't that good!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 8:26 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Probably not. Since they can't perform alcohol experiments on pregnant women to determine what IS safe, the recommendation is abstention.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:28 AM on Nov. 21, 2010