why can't my 2 cats get along?

The only thing they do is fight once or twice a day. They bite & chase eachother around the house like they want to kill eachother. After that ordeal is over then they go their own way for the day. Weird, huh?

NicolesMommy

Asked by NicolesMommy at 3:24 AM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Pets

• sounds like they are being territorial and have not yet decided who is alpha OR they just like to fight with eachother? my three cats usually have a good beat down on eachother once a day at least. and yet later they cat pile and sleep together. but hours earlier you would swear they were going to kill eachother.
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 3:26 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Are they both neutered?
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:29 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• BOTH neutered, they just don't like eachother. Mainly they ignore one another after the good morning fight, UGH
    NicolesMommy

Comment by NicolesMommy (original poster) at 3:33 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Change their routine, mix it up....try to break this habit and pattern.

So separate them in the morning, feed them in different areas. If you have the time, play with each cat individually and really try to wear that cat out so it is too tired to care to chase the other one around. If you have some days of calm in consecutive order, perhaps they will drop this behavior.

Or...feed them in the morning together, but put a little tuna in a dish every time the other cat comes around as a positive reinforcer for the presence of the other cat. Maybe it will distract them from this chase game, or at least change their attitude towards the other cat.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:39 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• try positive reinforcement like you would w/ a child when u see them getting along give them a treat if they fight ignore them and give them no attention. you can also try holding them while petting them both it may be a jealousy issue
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 5:10 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• you could try coating them with catnip. might make them more friendly with eachother. LOL
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 6:46 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• just like people, we can't get along with everyone. Sometimes, like people, there's just other beings we just will never get along with. May be time to pull out the water pistol and make it clear fighting is not allowed. Cats are smart, they'll get it.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:44 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Are you sure they are actually fighting? Even when cats play together it can look like fighting. My cats do the same thing but they are not fighting. Three of my four are actual siblings from the same litter and they are constantly rolling around, making noise, biting each other and chasing one another. They are almost 3 yrs old
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:42 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• They might not be actually fighting, my cats play rough all the time and my kids are convinced they are trying to kill each other.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 10:25 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I had 2 brothers like that! It was Sad. One scarred the other up! I don't know why.. They too were neutered. Its hard to say what.. What worked? When both DD's moved out. One took hers and the other left hers! They are now separated! And the catnip just made them worse. Spraying them with water still didn't help! I wish I knew what to say.. They just didn't seem to adjust Ever. I'm Sorry I wish I could be more Helpful!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 10:26 AM on Nov. 23, 2010