6 weeks with the pink eye

my babe has been looking like shes been trying to get the pink eye for about a week. her eyes arent pink but they are both leaking some yellowish type discharge. what should i do

MiMiBreezy

Asked by MiMiBreezy at 3:43 AM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My baby sister had that happen when she was born, try calling your pediatrician and letting them know. They'll probably prescribe some antibiotics. Also, if you want more info, you can go to WebMD, type in baby's symptoms and that will tell you what you need to do. Don't use it as diagnosis though, you should still go to your doctor. Everything will be alright though. :) *hugs*
    FirstTimeMom224

Answer by FirstTimeMom224 at 3:53 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• My oldest DID get pink eye at 6 weeks and being that I was a nursing mom, the Dr. had me put some breast milk in her eye instead of drops as it was a natural source of antibodies. It healed right up. My youngest dd had yellowish/brownish discharge from her eye every day - only one and the same one every time. For her it was a clogged tear duct and I was told by her Dr. to rub her eye from the inside out while she nursed and keep massaging it. That made it heal within a few mos.
    That being said, it could be either one. Talk to the Dr. and see what s/he says. Either way - your baby should be fine, but I would call the Dr. to find out what they want you to do! Good luck!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 4:01 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• you are going to have to take your baby to the pediatrician. my son had this happen after birth and i did try the breast milk route, but it didnt clear up. its best to have the Dr invoilved in case it doesnt. in my son's case he had mersa in both eyes causing the infection to resist treatment. took a long time to get rid of it.
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 4:09 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• thanks ill try the breast milk then to the doc we go
    MiMiBreezy

Comment by MiMiBreezy (original poster) at 5:09 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I hope things are going well. Let us know.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:57 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• This happened to my son at about 5 weeks. It's a clogged tear duct. The baby's tear ducts are so tiny, they get clogged easily. If it gets infected it will need an antibiotic ointment. My son's eyes got real goopy and his eye lids stuck together so he couldn't open his eyes. The ointment worked really fast and cleared it up nicely.

If you get an ointment for the eyes, I'd get the prescription and then bring it back to the doc and ask him to show you how to put it on. It can be tricky, I had to have my MIL do it for me (she was a nurse).
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:26 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I'd go to the doctor and discuss it at your next apt. My friend's baby had issues w/ her tear ducts and they were clogged for nearly 6-8 months. They can give you a few different scripts.
    b_stotka

Answer by b_stotka at 9:38 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Breast milk, try it for a day or two. If you see no improvement, or if it gets worse, then a doctor visit is called for.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:36 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Time to take her in Pink eye is miserable at any age!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 4:18 PM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Take the baby to the Dr. ASAP!
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 2:25 AM on Nov. 24, 2010