Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Could It Be Food Alergies?

My 3 y.o dd has had diarriah for almost 2 months. My 18 month ds has had it for three. The ped. can't find anything wrong with them. I removed all milk and juice from thier diets and it seems to be clearing up. The thing is they have always had milk products and juice before with no problems. Could an alergy to food suddenly start? I would like toget them tested. Where do I start?

Answer Question
 
Bugbait

Asked by Bugbait at 7:38 AM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Kids' Health

Level 20 (8,332 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • You are going to need to be persistent and demand that a food allergy panel be run on them. Do you have any wellness centers in your area? My husband has suffered from food allergies his entire life and the drs were treating him for all sorts of other problems...he was taking so many meds every day until we stumbled upon a wellness center and gave it a try. They ran a food allergy panel on him (very expensive though) and found out that he is highly allergic to red meat. Can you believe that? He stopped eating red meat and guess what...no more issues...he doesn't even have to take meds anymore.
    MommyH2

    Answer by MommyH2 at 7:53 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

  • cont... my son was very sick as a baby and finally refused to eat until he ended up in the hospital. the drs didn't want to hear about or even talk about possible food allergies. they finally tested him and found out he was sensitive to gluten and casein however they told me that he needs to learn to live with it and they put him in an intensive in patient feeding therapy for 5 weeks where they basically forced him to eat. it was sick...he was freaking out every evening and miserable. Once he was released I took him to the wellness center and got him on a gluten free casein free diet and guess what...no more issues!
    MommyH2

    Answer by MommyH2 at 7:58 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

  • I agree that it could be food allergies. I would suspect the milk: casein and whey. check out foodallergy.org and see if you can find an allergist to take them to. Good luck.
    kjrn79

    Answer by kjrn79 at 8:04 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

  • It could well be a dairy allergy, I would ask your dr for a referral to an allergy dr to get tests done.
    KTMOM

    Answer by KTMOM at 10:27 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

  • Wow MommyH2, that's awful! I'm glad they got it figured out for the men in your life!
    OP, it sounds like you might be dealing with a dairy allergy, although there has been a intestinal bug going around. If you can't afford the allergy testing, just continue to keep the dairy out. If after a month, you try dairy again and the diarrhea comes back, you know that's what it was.
    JawgaMom1

    Answer by JawgaMom1 at 2:48 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

  • You should remove gluten too. Gluten intolerance can cause diarrhea or constipation. Allergies are a learned response. You can become allergic to something the more you are exposed to it. You should request a RAST test instead of pin prick. A RAST test is done by blood draw. This way they can see what is going on inside & determine sensitivities too. Skin prick will only show a traditional allergy.
    motherofhope98

    Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:43 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

  • Allergies can pop up at any time. I'd demand to get them both tested.
    PhilsBabyMama

    Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:21 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

  • i'd push for a test, talk to their ped, tell them your issues, they should already be concerned about the legnth of time your child has had dirreah. then get tested. i know around here they don't do testing until the kids reach 3 years old, so you may have to wait for your lil one... but you can keep removing foods to pinpoint what the issue is.
    asil

    Answer by asil at 6:33 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

  • oh, and removing milk and juice from their diets doesn't indicate anything. you have to remove ALL fructose or ALL lactose products to test for an allergy. so if you removed juice but they still eat fruit or products with fructose in it... you will not be able to be sure they are allergic/intollerant or not. same with milk, glueten, etc.
    asil

    Answer by asil at 6:34 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

  • take them to an allergist
    Ashlynnsmommy07

    Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:48 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN