Why?

When travelling, why does the intense and invasive security procedures only apply to air travel?

You can take a bus, boat, or train or even travel in your own vehicle and cross state lines without so much as a glance.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 8:04 AM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Travel

• Because perhaps the people they're looking for have already taken their international flights and already have their bomb materials and maybe they're using them on a flight that we might dismiss as unimportant because it's domestic. Or maybe the bombers/hijackers/bad guys never left the country. Maybe they had others do that part of the dirty work. They count on us to get irritated by all the extra steps and invasions of our privacy and let our guard down for the sake of comfort and convenience. It's sad...but true. Their hate has no limits. They are determined to hurt us.
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 9:35 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I was wondering that too, actually. Probably because an airplane being piloted by terrorists can do a hell of a lot more damage (if used in a kamikaze fashion) than the other options.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 8:09 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• mayeb since an airplane can be FLOWN IN TO A BUILDING AND KILLL THOUSANDS?
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 8:10 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I have been thinking the same thing! The only thing I can think of is that a plane could crash on a metro area and kill so many more people than just those on board. And I don't understand why the screening takes place on people from this country from one US city to another. Doesn't it make more sense to screen people who have left this country (to learn the tactics, get the bomb materials, whatever) and visited "those" countries? I mean, I don't want to be screened if the only country on my passport has been Canada or Jamaica.....
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:10 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I agree it should more about INTL flights...incoming ones at that. But when your flying from small town to another small town... why? lol
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 8:16 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Well a train or subway exploding in the heart of Manhattan would probly do some considerable damge if at the right place and time.
    Same with a city bus packed with explosives driving into a skyscaper lobby and taking out its supports.

Private cars crossing state lines would be an easy way to smuggle people and things in.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 8:19 AM on Nov. 21, 2010