Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

This is a reply to the replies to my ? about giving child information

This is my apartment . I pay the rent . Not my daughters father. when i moved in here it was me and my daughter only on the lease. My heart went out to her father ( who by the way i am not dating) because he had no where to go. I didnt get money from him and it was only suppose to be for a while. But he ended up staying longer refusing to leave. He would stay out late and i would lock the door on him. But he would throw rocks at my window or my daughters window waking us up. And then he ended up taking my apartment key. So I had enough I see someone for mental health issues and they told me my best bet is to get and eviction notice from the landlord which is something she can do because hes not on the lease and not suppose to be staying here. I attempted to get help from the pokice but they couldnt do any thing

Answer Question
Elizabeth L.

Asked by Elizabeth L. at 8:08 AM on Nov. 21, 2010 in Kids' Health

Level 2 (7 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • I worry that this is not going to be an easy process.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 8:11 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

  • go back to the police, and file an OFP. Yes, you can have him removed from your home - I would give a week to find another place to stay, when the week is up and he refuses to leave, call the police and have him removed. And then change the locks. If he keeps bothering you and DD, all you have to do is call the police again and he'll be in violation of the order.
    I know you mean well by giving him a place to stay. However the only way the man is going to learn to take care of himself is if there is nobody else to take care of him. You need to let him hit rock bottom, hopefully he'll learn something.

    Answer by MommaofH2 at 8:17 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

  • unfortunatly after someone has been staying somewhere for over a certain amount of time you legally have to evict him. you could also try geting a restraining order against him and explain to the judge that he is not on the lease and was only supposed to stay for a few days. that may help also. but talk to your landlord and see if they cant help. if he isnt supposed to be on the property by order of the landlord the police can be called and they can escort him off of it. but again each state is different as to the laws.

    Answer by laura970 at 8:17 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

  • i'm not sure what the original issue is... but if the dad is NOT on the lease, he is trespassing in your house... you can kick him out whenever, without notice, with no eviction notice. the landlord can't do an eviction notice for someone that isn't on the lease.... an evicition has to have a signed document stating that the person they are kicking out agreed to do something and didn't. which would be YOU and not the dad. you need to call the police, tell them dad is tresspassing and be done with it. get a order of restraint and move on.

    Answer by asil at 6:30 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

  • I have been dealing with this process for a long time and it aint gonna get any worse or better. Its been like this for a year in a half. Its worse cuz im on food stamps and hud and i let my heart over take doing the things that are right. I worry that i wont make it. I also didnt try my hardest to make him leave cuz at one point when I was able to get him to leave he left for a week he never bothered with our daughter It hurt her and i felt bad. So i let him back. I have to pay for my kindness. O well Thanks for the feedback everyone.

    Answer by lnkforever at 8:44 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

  • I think you do have to formally evict him sadky

    Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:46 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

  • the police can't do anything if he lives there.. YOU have to either file iwth the courts, or the land lady can do that. Once the eviction is filed and the person being evicted has the notice they typically have 30 days to remove themselves from the property. AFTER the eviction is in effect and the days are up, THEN the police can remove him from the property.

    If it gets to extreme for you however and you worry about violence, file a restraining order.. it may work faster than an eviction.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:36 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

  • asil: doesn't matter if his name is on the lease or not. If he is living there, he is living there and the police don't have to do anything, which is why an eviction is needed.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:38 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

  • im not sure why the police wont help, since hes on your property

    Answer by tonyalynn at 8:56 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.