My SIL thinks she should be able to take her daughter out of school early on a routine basis

I'd like to get opinions about this. My niece has just started full-day Kindergarten in a public school. Her school dismisses at 3:45 and she does not get home untill 4:30. Her mother (my SIL) is very unhappy about her getting home so late and wants to be able to pick her up from school 10 minutes early, so she can have more time at home. She plans on speaking to the principal to see if this is allowed. I'd rather not say what I think cause I'd like to get other peoples unbiased opinions about this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on Nov. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think your SIL has entitlement issues. Why does HER child get to get out of school early but not everyone else?
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:16 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Sadly, I do not think there is anything she can do. She can pull her out early, although I know in our town they add up all the early dismissals and when you get "X" amount they count it as an absent. If it where me I would pick my child up from school. I love being able to talk with my kids while we are driving home. We talk about their day and what happened at school. It is a great bonding time and over the years I have learned so much from my children in that small amount of time.

I would suggest that to her. She can still be with her child that way and she can still talk with her, and she won't be missing any of school.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:18 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• Does she get home so late because she rides the bus? It kind of just sounds to me like she is having a hard time letting her baby go. But the idea is pretty strange and probably won't fly with the principal. Couldn't she just wait the extra 10 minutes and pick her up from school on time?? Thats the part I am not getting lol
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:19 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• The principle isn't going to allow this for one parent, it will be very disruptive to the school and the last 10 minutes is a crazy time as everyone is getting the kids ready to go home. I think it is great that she wants to spend more time with her child, but this is life and she is just going to have to adjust. She can always home school if she wants to spend more time with her.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:20 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• I think you should just let her deal with it with the principal. You are just asking for trouble by getting involved.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:21 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• If it's a bus issue and your SIL is willing to pick her up anyway, why not pull her off the bus and let her be a car-rider? I learn so much about my children's day when they hop in the car right after school when it's still fresh in their heads.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:21 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• That's ridiculous!!!! Seriously? What is 10 minutes? If ts that big a deal she can pick her up from school at the end of the day instead of having her ride the bus. That will give her more time.
    Hrtswithddynhvn

Answer by Hrtswithddynhvn at 8:23 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• In our area about half the kindergarten parents pick their kids up a little early or when school gets out rather than having them ride the bus.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:24 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• 10 minutes? Whats that gonna do? Are you sure she isn't just trying to beat the rush of parents going to pick up their kids?
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:26 AM on Nov. 21, 2010

• The more I think about it the more I agree with your sil. A five year old in full day kindergarten then a 45 minute bus ride is ridiculous. If she rides 45 minutes there. We are talking about an 8 hour day for a 5 year old. I bet the school will see your sil point and agree to it. I really hope they have a seperate kindergarten bus and do not put these little people on with the older kids.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:28 AM on Nov. 21, 2010