My 18 month old daughter is A COMPLETLY Different Child when DH is home...

I've just noticed today that when it is just the two of us at home during the day she will play and is in such a great, silly, cute little mood! I never have to reprimand her.

Now, the second DH gets home, she turns into a little devil; she screams and cries constantly, climbs up on dangerous things, and will not listen. DH spends about 1 hour with her each evening watching TV before he starts his marathon WOW game. I don't know if the game has anything to do with her attitude change or not.

I am very perplexed by this. He gets so tired of hearing her fuss that he makes her go to bed at 6:00!

Has anyone else noticed a change in their child's behavior when your SO comes home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Relationships

• Yup, I agree with the others. You need to put your foot down with hubby. He can take some time to read to her or sing to her or play a game of hide and seek before he turns on the tv. And even then he can watch something she can relate to and discuss what they're watching. She may like nature shows like Meercat Manor. And definetly no games until she's in bed. He's not a child, he can wait until her bedtime.
    L.A.F.outloud

Answer by L.A.F.outloud at 6:07 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• what it is shes around you more and feels more comfy with you than him she will grow out of it good luck
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 3:47 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• watching TV with her is not exactly interactive. It sounds to me like she wants him to give her some attention the way you do. I'd talk to him, and try to get him to spend some more time with her, or at least to make the time he does spend with her more interactive. This was one (of many) things my ex and I used to argue about. My son was excellent when his father wasn't here, but the second he got home, it was like some demon came in the door with him and possessed my child. All b/c he wanted to play video games instead of pay attention to our son. I'd explain to him that you realize that the things she wants to do are boring to him, but that she really needs to interaction and the attention.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• It sounds like she wants her daddy. Fussing and screaming like a little devil probably get daddy to pay attention to her, negative attention or not. It's attention. You need to explain this to him and tell him that he needs to do more fun active things with her instead of watching tv. Maybe you could start a craft box and daddy could make things together with her (just an idea cuz my neice LOVES to make things)like love letters and pretty pictures. Play a game of hide and seek. Have him get down on the floor and chase her around. I know that men play video games to relax. My husband is the same way, and I am too. But now that he's a daddy he needs to learn how to include his baby in his relaxing. She may only be 18 months but she can probably sense that the game is taking away her daddy's attention from her. You're her mommy, but daddies are so important to little girls!!
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 4:37 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Kids tend to act differently around other people...maybe your daughter, unfortunately, does not realize he's a parent. Most kids I know are good when they're with their parents, or with someone other than their parents, but when their parent is around with other people, they're terrors. Is this making sense?
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:12 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• My husband works alot, so when he is home she acts worse. It's because she wants his attention! She is working hard to get it, and she deserves it. I am sorry to say because I am sure he works all day and wants to unwind, but he should be spending time with his family also.
    This is my big beef that I have with WoW. My bestfriend's hubby (ex now) was the same way. He treated the kids like misbehaving house cats and not his kids. This is something you are gonna have to bring to his attention. She deserves a daddy that plays with her at least a little when he gets home, doesn't she? Couldn't he play after she goes to bed? I don't want to be mean but he is being a little selfish. Don't you think?
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 5:41 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Sorry, "she" being my 3 year old daughter.
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 5:42 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• like the others said shes showing out bc she wants daddy attention. if he cant wait to play the game when she goes to bed he can at least do something with her besides watch tv.
    mom2gavahnyaand

Answer by mom2gavahnyaand at 5:51 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Sounds like maybe she is acting out trying to get her daddy's attention. Maybe if daddy would spend say 30 minutes of uninterrupted time with her each evening, where she knew it was "her" time, and daddy would do whatever she wanted and would only pay attention to her. Just an idea!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 12:29 AM on Nov. 5, 2008