anyone else own a ball python?

I just got my first ball python on Sunday. He is 3 months old and I am afraid he won't eat for me. I was told they are picky. What can I do? Should I wait to feed him for a week or so?

mulder81605

Asked by mulder81605 at 3:47 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Pets

• I have a ball python 2 boas and 2 corn snakes :)
    i love snakes lol

yeah give him the opportunity to eat, but if it takes longer than an hour or if he just does NOT seem interested in eating it, then put him back in his cage and try in about another week.

make sure you dont feed him in his cage. try like the bathtub and just let him slither around the bathtub. feeeding him in his cage will make him used to eating in there and then in the future anytime you open the cage to pet hi or to pick him up and hold him, he will begin to think hes going to be fed and snap and bite the first thing that reaches into the cage :)

i have a bunch of snakes if u need any info or anything feel welmcome to ask me.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 4:17 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I feed mine in the tank and have never been struck at.... I guess I'm not furry or squeaky enough =oX
    jeepwranglrbabe

Answer by jeepwranglrbabe at 1:19 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I saw a ball python at PetSmart the other day and he was gorgeous!! They said he was not for sale because he had not eaten in 2 months. I wasn't sure what that meant but he was so cool. DD wanted to buy him :)
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 2:09 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Don't try to feed him for a week or so, let him settle in. Then try him with prekilled mice or rats. Whichever he's big enough for. If he won't eat prekilled you'll have to feed him live, either freshly killed or fully alive and kicking. My oldest ball will not eat unless she kills it, my 2 babies eat prekilled and thawed.
    RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 7:19 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• MammaMia72....PetSmart will not sell a snake until it is a proven eater. Snakes that are difficult feeders often die when sold, because the new owners don't really know how to feed a difficult feeder most of the time. That snake should probably not be sold to anyone but an experienced herp person who knows how to handle that type of problem and it won't leave that store until it's feeding regularly...per store guidelines.
    RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 7:23 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I had a ball and it died...not sure why...I didn't have it long. I also have a Dumeril's boa. I've had him for about 4 years now. He's my baby...born and raised in captivity. I have always fed him in the tank...live prey...and he's never struck at me or my husband. Mostly he likes to crawl down the front of my shirt and curl up and sleep...lol! But, he's never not eaten. I had a Carpet python once that stopped eating and then we noticed a knot in his tail a few weeks later and when we took him to the vet they told us he had cancer in his reproductive organs and we had to put him down. He was ornery and huge and made me nervous so I wasn't to sad about that...my husband was though.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 8:41 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Oh, also make sure you have him a relatively calm area as a stressed out snake will sometimes not eat.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 8:43 PM on Nov. 8, 2008